20'000 target reached!

Looking for a specific model? Here's the place to start.
saj

20'000 target reached!

Post by saj »

Hi!

The Model Database has reached its target of 20'000 models! (20'103 at the moment).

Thanks to everyone who has submitted model information; we couldn't have done it without you!

Dennis says our next target is 30'000 by next year, and we certainly hope to achieve it! If you have a website with diagrams or a crease pattern, we'd love for you to submit that information to us via the 'Add Model to Database' link at the Model Database Homepage.

Here is his original message to the O-List:

Hello everyone!

We made it! 20,000+ models in the Model Database. Hurrah! I think I'll have a celebratory bar of chocolate!

But... let's not rest on our laurels, instead we can start beating a path to 30,000. I'm still looking for volunteers for magazines. I've had a couple of maybes but no definites. The biggest deficits in the database at the moment are websites and USA magazines. The best people to add the websites are the website owners (I've put on some and it's pretty tedious if you don't know where to find everything!). There are only 28 websites on the database. We all know that there are FAR more than that! Have a look and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, take a few minutes and put the models from your website into the database.

Dennis.

saj[/url]
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

i´m sure, if everybody helps, who has own models, and people who know peoples wich can fold own things.. ..problem is.. probably they even dont know that there is a "origami-list".. or origami-board.. so thatsway maybe there is so less traffic? this needs adverts on the right place
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

the problem with this model database is (although I really like the idea), that it's of nearly no practical use.
don't take it for personal, but when I'm in search for a certain model, the model database would be the last place to go to. what sense does it make for me to know, that the model is in the book XYZ by ABC, when that book is out of print or I don't know anybody that owns that book????
a question to the origami list is more effective.

greetings

Christian
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

well - its a good place to find a model, when u are searching it, but u dont know in wich book..

the only bad thing in my opinion is, when there are multiple model names... but i can live with it
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

TheRealChris wrote:the problem with this model database is (although I really like the idea), that it's of nearly no practical use.
don't take it for personal, but when I'm in search for a certain model, the model database would be the last place to go to. what sense does it make for me to know, that the model is in the book XYZ by ABC, when that book is out of print or I don't know anybody that owns that book????
a question to the origami list is more effective.

greetings

Christian
My origami book collection is getting quite large, and I've started to lose track of all the diagrams I have. Using the database to find out if I have diagrams for a model or not is a lot quicker than rummaging through umpteen convention books.

For example, I searched the database for Guillaume Denis, creator of a paint tube, and found that I already had diagrams for the tube in a BOS convention book that I own (Autumn '98 ).
OrigamiRob

Source Data

Post by OrigamiRob »

How does one go about getting the source data? I'd like to work on an alternate model that captures a bit more info.

Any XML schema developed yet?
saj

Post by saj »

Hi OrigamiRob,

You can download the most current version of the database from our website:

http://www.origamidatabase.com

You can then use MS Access to export the data to the format you want (.txt, .cvs etc).

I've currently working on my own version of the database - Look here.

You'll notice that there are quite a few more options, but its still incomplete and some sections are not working as they should.

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
amylela

hii

Post by amylela »

i just look into http://www.origamidatabase.com I like the website, it look simple but easy navigation. Anyway i have had bookmark it. I hope there will be more origami database provided.
Huge collections of Origami Video. Check it out!!
http://origamivideo4u.blogspot.com