Greetings from Greg in Japan

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
orizuru

Greetings from Greg in Japan

Post by orizuru »

Hi everyone, this is Greg in Japan. I found out about this forum a long time ago, but I haven't gotten around to joining until now.

I first got interested in origami from an illustration I saw when I was about 5 years old, around 1986. I will ask about this illustration in my next post, because I need help finding it, as it changed my life... long story short (since this is simply an introduction) after seeing an illustration of an origami crane I began drawing and then a few years later saw a real folded crane, and then began folding. From origami I became interested in Japan and after I graduated college I came here the first time. I went back to the U.S. (Boston area, where I'm from originally) but missed Japan so much that now I am back.

I create my own models when I have time, which I mostly don't have while working in Japan. I fold 1,000 cranes every year and while in Japan bring them to Hiroshima on August 6th. I've folded around 10,000 so far in my life. Aside from the illustration that changed my life, I think the origami crane is the most beautiful and perfect work of art, and its meaning is very significant and profound.

I will be back soon to ask you about my holy grail illustration.

Thanks and nice to finally join the forum!

Greg
papagimp

Re: Greetings from Greg in Japan

Post by papagimp »

I didn't find the crane until after I started (very recently) but I see what ya mean, it's a beutiful model and probably my favorite to fold right now. Havn't tackled 1000 of them but working on that for a birthday gift to son due in a couple months. I find myself folding them at every opportunity throughout the day. I've even had to cut back on my cigarettes cause they take up my hands which I need to fold cranes while on break :)

Look forwards to seeing some of your work and this mysterious life changing illustration of yours!
orizuru

Post by orizuru »

Thanks so much for your reply (and to those of you that viewed)... I just wrote the post about the search for the illustration that changed my life so please read it in 'General'!

Thank,

Greg in Japan
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

hi
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!