Talk about "while you were sleeping"!

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
sumi_gaeshi

Talk about "while you were sleeping"!

Post by sumi_gaeshi »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, but very old to origami. I started folding when I was five, and continued through high school. I didn't have any access to good origami books, but I folded every model I could get my hands on. Near the end of my teens, I got really frustrated, and some-what let down, by multi-sheet models and cutting flaps for extra legs I kept having to do. I felt like the models I had access to had hit a complexity ceiling, and I started to grow bored. I stopped folding when I moved away for college, and when I came back, I found my siblings had amassed a collection of Lang and Montroll's books as well as several books from Origami House. They were thrilling to fold, but we didn't have anything but printer paper to fold with, so the more complex models were a very frustrating adventure indeed! I'm finally at the point where I have the means (and even a bit of time!!!) to make tissue-foil and double tissue for my models, and I'm loving it!!
I'm thrilled that the internet had granted me access to such a broad origami community, and I can finally catch up on all the advances in technical design and folding that has happened in the last two decades. I'm even enjoying revisiting all the intermediate models I had glossed over when I was younger, as wet-folding and tissue-foil allow me to fold with an aesthetic that breathes so much more life and character into even the simplest models.
I've been lurking on the boards for a few weeks now, and just wanted to thank everyone for contributing to such a great online origami community :)

-Sumi-gaeshi
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Talk about "while you were sleeping"!

Post by origami_8 »

Welcome on board!

Interesting introduction.

Maybe you can manage to go to a local Origami Meeting or big convention. The interaction with other folders is an interesting thing to experience and can help you getting even better. Furthermore big conventions usually have a shop where you can buy a huge variety of papers and books.

It would be great to see some pictures of some of your models.
sumi_gaeshi

Post by sumi_gaeshi »

Thanks for the welcome, origami_8,

I would really like to go to a convention or meeting. I just recently became a member of origami USA, and I'm seriously considering going to the NYC convention this summer. my brother lives near there, and I could visit him too! Are there other conventions/meetings that happen on the west coast?
sumi_gaeshi

Post by sumi_gaeshi »

Here are some of my pieces. please excuse all the red. I went to Joann's just after Thanksgiving for tissue-foil making supplies, and they only had Christmas colored tissue paper --red, green, white, and tan with snowflakes.

Montroll's rabbit:

Sitting dog:

Parrot:

Horse with rider, next to a semi-successful attempt at Wu's Nazgul:

I'm starting up a gallery for my origami here:
http://thefirstpancake.smugmug.com/Art/Origami
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

sumi_gaeshi wrote:Thanks for the welcome, origami_8,

I would really like to go to a convention or meeting. I just recently became a member of origami USA, and I'm seriously considering going to the NYC convention this summer. my brother lives near there, and I could visit him too! Are there other conventions/meetings that happen on the west coast?
PCOC happens every two years somewhere random on the west coast. This year it is in New Mexico. Might want to consider that. I'm not sure if I'll come though..

Jake
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I believe Origami USA does have a list of where local meetings take place in the US. It should be somewhere on their homepage.
steingar

Post by steingar »

There are groups in every major city in California.
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

sumi_gaeshi wrote:Near the end of my teens, I got really frustrated, and some-what let down, by multi-sheet models and cutting flaps for extra legs I kept having to do.
Know that no one uses cuts for legs or multi sheet models for the most part. :)
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)