Hello, and WOW!

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
Russell

Hello, and WOW!

Post by Russell »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and have been re-discovering origami on & off for many years. Most of my experience has been from books obtained locally, and I have really only just found all the amazing progress that has been made since I was a kid. The designs being done today far surpass any of the traditional designs I am used to seeing in my books. That Cyclommatus metallifer by White Angle of Origami is amazing!

Having kids myself now, I want to get them into folding as well, especially as one of my sons has poor fine motor skills, and I'm hoping origami can help and raise his self-esteem at being able to do something 'clever' at the same time.

I actually started looking back into Origami as I am producing an audio Astronomy Podcast currently, and thought Origami might make an interesting Video Podcast which I'd like to try. I also just acquired a new Video camera which would assist the process.

Having a look now at what is being made these days, I'm thinking I might be aiming a little low, producing an Origami "How-to" show, when obviously, I need to learn How-to myself and everyone else is so more advanced than me. I didn't even know what CP meant until 2 days ago. :)

I was having a look through all of our local bookstores today to try and find some modern origami books, as my stuff is all fairly old. I think Origami Sea Life by Montroll and Lang is my most recent book. I purchased quite a few from a second hand store 5 or 6 years ago, and this was one of them. Would you believe that looking through that store and several other major bookstores in the city today, I came across a total of about 3 books - 2 were those combined origami & papercraft books, which just give you a few basics, and one was the usually 10 page kids book. There are no decent books available locally!!!

So, onto my questions

1. What books available to order on-line do people recommend for someone wanting to understand modern Origami and crease patterns? Or should I just read everything I can online about it? I know of 2 sites that have guides to CP's, but am yet to read them.

2. What do people think of the idea of an Origami video podcast, aimed either at beginners, and/or demonstrating a design each show or as a behind-the-scenes show with interviews with well known (and not so well known) Origami crafters (is there a name for people who make origami - Origamists??) and showcasing their work?

Hopefully I won't be too much of an intellectual drain on the forums while I re-educate myself in the modern world of Origami.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Welcome to the forum Image.
Russell wrote:1. What books available to order on-line do people recommend for someone wanting to understand modern Origami and crease patterns?
THE book for this purpose is definitely Robert J. Lang's Origami Design Secrets.
Russell wrote:2. What do people think of the idea of an Origami video podcast, ...
This sounds definitely like an interesting idea, but it needs a lot of planning. Also you need to have good "advertising" for it to attract enough people to justify your efforts :)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
saj

Post by saj »

Hi mate, and welcome to the forum :-)
An Origami podcast sounds great, I would love to see it!

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Daydreamer wrote:
Russell wrote:2. What do people think of the idea of an Origami video podcast, ...
This sounds definitely like an interesting idea, but it needs a lot of planning. Also you need to have good "advertising" for it to attract enough people to justify your efforts :)
Thanks for the comments. Yes, video podcasting has huge bandwidth requirements, especially if it becomes popular in any way. At the moment, I have bandwidth to cover a small number of viewers, but I'd have to go to a special podcast hoster or find revenue in some way to keep it running to a larger audience.

For now, it's an experiment in Video Podcasting, so I'm willing to wear initial costs. Maybe I should just plan a series of beginner episodes - maybe 5 or so, and then at the end of that review future direction?

Still in the concept stage, so not sure what will end up coming out of it for now.

I'll go see if I can find somewhere with Robert's book that is accessible to me here in Australia.