Hi everyone from Orlando, Florida

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
ModularBri

Hi everyone from Orlando, Florida

Post by ModularBri »

Hi everyone! I've started folding around the beginning of December and thought I'd try to get more involved. My favorite origami is modular (still do other types but always try to find something modular). Thought I'd start by sharing a variation I created, but I don't see how to insert a picture.
GrossMichael

Re: Hi everyone from Orlando, Florida

Post by GrossMichael »

Welcome to the Forum! We are mostly purists here, so we don't fold a lot of modulars but I can't wait to see your folds and designs. Here's the topic on how to insert pictures. If you have other questions just ask, we are happy to help you. Happy folding!
ModularBri

Post by ModularBri »

Thanks Micheal! That's very interesting I thought understood what a purist was. Anyway here's my creation...I call it Third Bar. I couldnt find it when I was searching so I'm not trying to take credit for anyone else's work. If you guy's are interested I'll make instructions on how to make it.

GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

Nice sonobe variation!
ModularBri

Post by ModularBri »

Thanks!
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

GrossMichael wrote:Welcome to the Forum! We are mostly purists here, so we don't fold a lot of modulars but I can't wait to see your folds and designs. Here's the topic on how to insert pictures. If you have other questions just ask, we are happy to help you. Happy folding!

Check the description of the website. Origami forum, not "purist origami forum". Any type of origami is welcome. Even though your greeting seemed nice, you cant give off that vibe to a new forum member that we all have a standard and their folds are below the "standard" of our "purism". Just saying, it may have been better not to mention that fact. I used to be a modular folder too. Modulars, like representationals, and tessellations, are just one of the subcategories of origami.
ModularBri wrote:Thanks Micheal! That's very interesting I thought understood what a purist was. Anyway here's my creation...I call it Third Bar. I couldnt find it when I was searching so I'm not trying to take credit for anyone else's work. If you guy's are interested I'll make instructions on how to make it.

Fantastic job! Welcome too!
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

Yeah Ben you're right. I didn't notice how unwelcoming my message sounded.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Don't worry about it! I know you meant well, but just to clarify, I said what I said. :)
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
ModularBri

Post by ModularBri »

Thanks Ben. It did get me thinking (what is origami today?). When I saw Mike's page I thought you guy's lived like Ancient Roman's with your one piece and wax (parchment paper?) paper...was wondering If I was going to get stabbed to death in the Senate :P No problems though...it's cool :)
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

I'm sorry if you understood me wrong, but by saying that most of us fold one-sheet models I meant that there aren't a lot of modular folders, not that we discourage other forms of paperfolding. Every type of origami has pros and cons. Modulars look awesome but they take time and patience, which I don't have a lot of.
Anyway, your model looks cool and if you enjoy folding it, it doesn't matter what type it is. Keep up the good work! Happy folding!
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

I've tried modulars but they are difficult sometimes. Truly shows the extent of my spatial awareness, I guess. I admire modulars and we have had a few people who have done modulars mostly on here.
ModularBri

Post by ModularBri »

I guess i have to say it again...I didn't have any problem with your statement Mike. Just still learning things about origami slowly. :)

Razzmatazz I'm the same way. Took me a week or so to peice together my first 30 unit icosahedron. Now I can make a 90 unit dodecahedron by memory almost (had to get a couple tips to finish my 2nd one).