Hello from Derby in the UK

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
UnwittingAccomplice

Hello from Derby in the UK

Post by UnwittingAccomplice »

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker but I thought I would say hello at last.

My name is Roy and I'm 40. I live in the midlands in the UK and I've been doing Origami since I was 10, working originally through the Robert Harbin books in the school library. As a teenager I joined BOS and bought a couple of Montroll books with Christmas money. Back then I folded every single model in every book I owned. Later on I moved to Robert Lang and eventually to some of the Japanese Origami House books.

I have folded off and on for years generally making animals or modulars as presents for friends and family - or just showing off folding bank notes! But then with life and work and kids I slowed down for about 10 years and hardly folded anything.

These past few months I have bought some hand made papers and experimented with wet folding. I am also amazed at how the art has moved on in such a short time.

Anyway, enough about me, here are a few folds from the past couple of weeks to show the sort of stuff I do.

I like insects: (Max hulme spider (4cm) and a stick insect (about 7cm)

New wet fold attempts: Bull (? not sure) and a Rhino (Kawahata)

Dollar bills (cheaper than Origamodo - lol!)

And a first attempt at an Ancient dragon - made with 60cm Terry foil. I will try again using a big sheet of Lokta or something thinner.

Roy
Last edited by UnwittingAccomplice on January 27th, 2014, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrossMichael

Re: Hello from the UK

Post by GrossMichael »

Welcome to the Forum Roy!
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

wow your fold are really awesome! the insects are great!
tschobigami

Post by tschobigami »

I also like your folds, especially the insects. The bull (designed by Stephan Weber) is a great model, and if you fold it more than once, you can have great results. but i like your colour choice for that one. Anyway welcome to the forum :)
UnwittingAccomplice

Post by UnwittingAccomplice »

Thank you for the welcome posts!

I don't have many insects left as I have historically given most of them away. I used to make them with tissue foil which didn't last well! Last year I tried Lokta and MC as with these two below. Lang Cockroach from Insects 2 and Seed bug from Insects 1 (my favourite in the book). Both models are about 8cm. I like the thinness of the legs but not the crumpled finish.

The spider in my first post is my first attempt at a new style. Wet folded insects using sized paper rather than finishing with MC trying to get a smoother style.