Hello from Canada

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
CeruleanSpirit

Hello from Canada

Post by CeruleanSpirit »

Hello,

I live in Canada. I have been an Origami enthousiast since I was young. The first origami book I found was in a gift shop while travelling. Been folding paper in my free time now and then ever since. My favorite origami book I have brought was Origami Insects II from Robert J. Lang:

https://origamiusa.org/catalog/products ... insects-ii

I did most of the models. I never managed to complete the Spider model, lots of manipulations of large pieces, the tension always gets concentrated on the center of the sheet on the back. It keeps ripping apart. Other than that it's my favorite book since the models are quite challenging. I also loved his sealife book.

Anyway, nice to meet you all! :)

I have been wondering, does anyone know a good books with challenging models (80+ steps each)? Most book I see around, the models are a little too simple for my taste.

Thanks!
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re: Hello from Canada

Post by Swapnil Das »

Welcome to the forum! Wow, you must be quite experienced, Having completed most of the models in OI2! Anyway, if you're looking for complex books, there are quite a lot around.
Here's a few suggestions:

1. Origami Masters: Bugs Wars

2. Works of Hideo Komatsu

3. Works of Satoshi Kamiya 2 Or Volume 1

These are just few of the books. But there are tons that might fit your list. :)
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
CeruleanSpirit

Post by CeruleanSpirit »

I must admit, when I brought Origami Insect II, it was super hard, not unlike anything I had seen before. But with practice, I became better. Here's the Cockroach from OI2 that I did today:

Not art gallery material bet very good I think. :D

Anyway thanks for the books! I brought Origami Masters: Bugs Wars. Look very similar to OI2, I'll see if it has a different origami takes on the bugs
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Welcome to the forum, fellow Canadian!
Swapnil suggested some great books for you, and I might add that a very nice book with fun sequences is Maekawa's "Genuine Origami". Although not as complex as you probably want, it's quite a well-received book in the origami community and plus it has Maekawa's signature devil.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Wow, nice cockroach! Next time, use thinner paper. I mostly use Tracing papers for these thick insects like Kamiya's Cyclommatus or this one. But great job! And have fun with Origami Masters!

Oh yeah, Genuine Origami is one awesome book! I have some tutorials of Jun's model on my YouTube

CeruleanSpirit

Post by CeruleanSpirit »

Agreed, some of the complex are impossible to do with such thick paper. I usually wet some parts of the model by the end to flatten and shrink certain parts like those bug legs. I got terrible result with standard origami paper trying to do the Eupatorus Gracilicornus, Tarantula and Centipede,
- the Tarantula keep breaking on the back because of the pressure from legs manipulation.
- The Eupatorus: just can't make those tiny legs and horn. It just look terrible.
- Just too darn thick, it curls up by the end.

I'll go to my art shop today and will try to find thinner paper. Thanks for all the tips and books! I'll be posting on this board. :)
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Glad to help! Those tracing paper comes in a roll for me. I don't know about Canada but it might come in rolls as well.

markopetra

Post by markopetra »

Cool model i like it!