Like father, like son

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
OriGenes

Like father, like son

Post by OriGenes »

Hello,

We are a father and son combo who has been active on the French forum (pliagedepapier.com) for almost two years. My son is the better folder of us but he is only 13, so I am doing the writing.

We both like complex models. It all started 6 years ago, when he asked me to buy Satoshi Kamiya’s first book. I painfully completed the Divine Dragon. Two and a half year later, he had completed the Ancient Dragon. He made several versions of it in different sizes, so he knew it almost by heart.

Now, he is reading and writing CPs, so I made him an iPhone/iPad app similar to Oripa. I will let you discover it too very soon!
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Like father, like son

Post by origami_8 »

Hello and welcome on board!
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

Greetings ive visted your site i love its layout..please try and enter the challenges posted as some only visit those forums
steingar

Post by steingar »

Reminds me a bit of Erik and Marty Demaine.
OriGenes

Post by OriGenes »

steingar wrote:Reminds me a bit of Erik and Marty Demaine.
Wow, it is a great honor to be compared to that illustrious pair! I don’t think we are at that level though. Also, our relationship is somewhat inverted: I am an engineer and he is the artist. But I should also mention my elder son, who is a math and computer whiz. He has helped me with some of the math for my Origami Draw app. He has also helped me solve several CPs based on some tricky geometric relationships. So, one is skilled with his hands, the other with his brain, and I am trying to keep up with both of them!

Therefore, Origami Draw has truly been a family effort, using our complementary skills. It is nearing its first 100 downloads from the App Store. It is a slow debut as I was expecting it, since only a small fraction of origamists can read CPs, and only a fraction of them owns an iPhone or an iPad. Still, I hope this app will stir some interest in being able to read and draw CPs. After all, it is much easier to draw a CP than a complete step-by-step diagram. So, if you want to remember how you folded your latest creation, an App where you can doodle a CP is a very handy tool to have.

Compared with Oripa, it has some very useful extensions, like the “Flatten” function, which finds the missing fold that allows the paper to lie flat around a given node:

You can discover more about it on my website.