New member from Finland.

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
Petri

New member from Finland.

Post by Petri »

Hi!

I'm new to this origami building.
I have been always fascinated with Japanese culture and I have watched lots of anime, read some manga, love Japanese food and listened to J-rock (in my teen years).
I have known about origami for years and thought that it's ludicrously difficult. But then we had visitors from Japan in our workplace and they brought us some origami paper arcs and instructions and I had a blast doing few.
Now I bought ORIGAMI Super Stack (origami paper) from my local store and I will begin my journey to master this art.
I also going to make a YouTube channel for my progress and maybe other people will be interested in it too.

I already have a quick question. Are origami books relevant anymore? You can find almost every model on YouTube and video instructions always seem to be better than just pictures.

I'm excited about being part of this forum and try to contribute. Hopefully same time next year I know much more about origamis.

Petri
Baltorigamist

Re: New member from Finland.

Post by Baltorigamist »

Welcome to the forum! :)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

Hello and have fun :)
Splunge

Post by Splunge »

Petri wrote: I already have a quick question. Are origami books relevant anymore? You can find almost every model on YouTube and video instructions always seem to be better than just pictures.
For me Origami books still have a big relevance. I find it difficult to follow a video instruction while folding at the same tine. You constantly have to pause the video, maybe rewind a few seconds etc.
In most cases I find the printed instructions sufficient. In rare cases, if I should get stuck for a longer time, I have a look at video instructions, if any are available.

Apart from that most origami instruction videos probably don't have the permission from the designer.
So if you want to support the designers so they can publish new diagrams, which also the Youtube channels rely on, you should consider buying the diagrams through the official channels, which are in most cases books or ebooks.
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Welcome on board.

When I was young Origami books have basically been the only source available to get Origami instructions. For me diagrams are more easy to follow. I can read them at my own speed, I can look at the following pictures to get a feeling what the outcome should be and there are no fingers in the way. Furthermore diagrams are easier to take along with you. There are still much more diagrams in books than there are instructional videos, especially when it comes to more complex models.
A lot of people who start out with Origami nowadays think that videos are easier to follow, but I guess that's just because they never properly learned to read diagrams.
For me as an author it is way easier to make a video, than to draw diagrams. With diagrams I have to carefully think about the best folding sequence and how to explain it best in pictures. Sometimes this will lead to enhancements of the folding sequence. Videos are the easy way out.
Another reason for me to prefer diagrams over videos is, that they are more easy to collect. Downloading videos is kind of a hassle, whereas buying a book is pretty straight forward and I can go to my bookshelf any time and get it out without being reliant on my computer, smart-phone, internet connection,...
Petri

Post by Petri »

Splunge wrote: For me Origami books still have a big relevance. I find it difficult to follow a video instruction while folding at the same tine. You constantly have to pause the video, maybe rewind a few seconds etc.
In most cases I find the printed instructions sufficient. In rare cases, if I should get stuck for a longer time, I have a look at video instructions, if any are available.

Apart from that most origami instruction videos probably don't have the permission from the designer.
So if you want to support the designers so they can publish new diagrams, which also the Youtube channels rely on, you should consider buying the diagrams through the official channels, which are in most cases books or ebooks.
Yeah, now after making few origami I have noticed that a good book is better than mediocre video tutorial. And even though the diagrams are "clear" pictures I still need few words to help... I tried to do origami from the German book and I just couldn't understand what I should do between pictures. So, for now, its only English or Finnish for me.
I expanded this copyright/designer permission on another topic. It is an interesting subject with no clearly right answer.

origami_8 wrote:Welcome on board.

When I was young Origami books have basically been the only source available to get Origami instructions. For me diagrams are more easy to follow. I can read them at my own speed, I can look at the following pictures to get a feeling what the outcome should be and there are no fingers in the way. Furthermore diagrams are easier to take along with you. There are still much more diagrams in books than there are instructional videos, especially when it comes to more complex models.
A lot of people who start out with Origami nowadays think that videos are easier to follow, but I guess that's just because they never properly learned to read diagrams.
For me as an author it is way easier to make a video, than to draw diagrams. With diagrams I have to carefully think about the best folding sequence and how to explain it best in pictures. Sometimes this will lead to enhancements of the folding sequence. Videos are the easy way out.
I think that this is something that people get used to. Even though my first touch to origami was diagrams they were pretty simple dog faces etc. So I didn't develop the skill to read diagrams and video tutorial is so easy. But now after a few tries with video and diagrams I found that good video is better than a mediocre diagram and vice versa.
Maybe after a year, I have something more intellectual to say about this matter.