New member saying hi and asking for advice.

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
AaronUK84

New member saying hi and asking for advice.

Post by AaronUK84 »

Hello everyone.

I've done the odd bit of origami in the past. The usual, crane, stars, easy(ish) stuff.

I'm coming up to my 1st anniversary on Xmas eve and I would like to make a dozen roses as its the "paper anniversary" I'm just after some advice on paper thickness and type? Do I go red and green block colour? Do I go glossy? Patterned? Natural types like unbleached or raw paper? (I don't know the terminology but I know what I mean 😅😅😅)
I would like something more unusual than block colour but if the paper is textured it won't be so plain if it is a block colour.

I've read some reviews and watched tutorials on the folding process but only using the paper I had at hand and didn't need to be "special"

Any help is appreciated.

Aaron
Baltorigamist

Re: New member saying hi and asking for advice.

Post by Baltorigamist »

First off, welcome!
The best paper to use is largely dependent on which model you intend to fold. For roses, I don't know if you have anything picked out yet, but I'd recommend the classic Kawasaki Rose or the One-Minute Rose, instructions for both of which should be available online.
Given that time is a factor, I'm not sure whether you could order paper online and have it get to you in time, but I'd recommend Tant for the Kawasaki Rose. It's much thicker than standard origami paper (kami), so it might take some getting used to, but the texture is really nice. Just be careful about tearing it--my experience is that it's rather fragile.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
AaronUK84

Post by AaronUK84 »

I quite like the rose of roses on YouTube by jordi adell. If that makes a difference? It looks quite involved but I have a month so I may be ok. I will check out some tant paper then.

Thanks 😁
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, in this case I'd second the recommended Tant, but would suggest to get a pack of coordinating shades like this one.
AaronUK84

Post by AaronUK84 »

Well I got some tant paper. Wow. What a difference in quality. I've made a few practice ones out of random colours just to try them and they're getting pretty good. The folds on the underside to lock in the rose are a pain though. But trial and error it is so far. Anyone know how to add a picture in here? I'm new to forums
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm glad the Tant is working for you overall!
Regarding adding pictures, you'll have to upload them to a third-party site such as Flickr or Imgur and embed them using the BBCode. There are better instructions in a thread in Using the Forum.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr