My first post!

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
CraneDude

My first post!

Post by CraneDude »

Well I love Origami and 2 days ago I decided to go for the 1,000 cranes. I'm only at 70 something but im doing about 30 cranes a day.

I have a question ... Has anybody here ever gone for the 1,000 cranes? :o

Has anybody here made it to 1,000 cranes? :shock:
I love origami cranes!!!
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

Greetings CraneDude!

Welcome to the forums.

A friend of mine made an attempt. I think he only got up to the 400ish mark before quitting.

Anyway, don't forget to post a picture of your creation.

Cheers!
CraneDude

Post by CraneDude »

Ya if i get high i will post a pic or two! I'm not even to 100 yet and im almost out of room in my room ive been moving things but i think that i might get tired long before 1,000 but it will be a good test of perserverence. I love origami because of how relaxing it is. I've gotten tons of people at school into origami. I'm making sure i don't let anybody else help me get to 1,000 since it is a personal goal not for my image. people say that i need to get a life or the i have too much time but it's not like i cant make origami while doing other things
I love origami cranes!!!
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

What size of paper are you using per crane?
My friend used 2 inch squares.
Taulmarill

Post by Taulmarill »

I've seen a mobile on the Internet with 10 x 10 strings hanging from a square wood structure with 10 cranes on each string. All cranes would also have a different color so the whole thing had a nice gradient. sadly i can't seem to find it anymore.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

A friend of mine folded the thousand cranes for his sister´s marriage.
I never tried to fold them but so many cranes like I folded before, they have to be at least a few hundred if not more.
CraneDude

Post by CraneDude »

Ya my paper is (dont ctriticize me) post it notes i love them and the sticky stuff adds to the chalenge they are the perfect size for me. I think that large cranes look gay so i go with the smaller ones

P.S. one time i chalenged myself and made a crane out of a 16th of a post it note!!!

Ya cool huh I took a post it folded it into 4 sections the took one of the sections and folded it into 4 then i took one of those and made a crane!

I can post pics when i get back from school if you would like!

But for now i gotta go to school i'll check here when i return

Toodaloo (heh ive always wanted to say that),
Dillon
I love origami cranes!!!
kingdomwinds

Post by kingdomwinds »

I hope you intend to fold other stuff besides cranes too. There are so many amazing looking origami models out there. Good luck on your goal though.

Im just not a big fan of traditional origami models. I outgrew them.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

kingdomwinds wrote:Im just not a big fan of traditional origami models. I outgrew them.
Traditional models do have their own charm instead they wouldn´t have lasted for centuries. Simplicity is not always bad and some of these models are simply ingenious (thinking for example on the turtle, snail, fluttering butterfly, tulip, ...).

Also folding cranes can be a lot of fun, maybe you are just using the false instructions, try these.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Hi CraneDude, welcome to the forum Image

You'll probably find that after folding 100 cranes it gets really boring. Don't give up, just give yourself a little break. I kind of gave up after folding 80 cranes, and I only fold cranes every so often now.

I suggest (like I suggest to everyone, because I started out with this) www.origami.com :D It have a lot of diagrams, from simple to complex.

kingdomwinds: I have a feeling you'll be folding traditional models from time to time once you run out of diagrams to fold :wink: That's what I do...
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
CraneDude

Post by CraneDude »

Ya I know it's already old but i want to get there but there is one problem... :oops:

I havn't been folding traditional cranes i've been folding (flapping cranes) Does it matter? :(
I love origami cranes!!!
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Well, if you want them to be cranes, then all it takes is un-folding the Head and tail, then adding four simple valley folds and thenre-folding the head and tail. That would probably only take a couple minutes to convert them all into cranes.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

here is 1000 cranes viewtopic.php?t=664
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

im doing the 1000 cranes at the mo but im only on 150 ish i got a kit from roze.co.uk its ok but it does get a bit tedious i managed to fold a hundred in about an hour and a half :D
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

IMO, a thousand simple but cleanly/neatly folded cranes bundled together would cause more jaws to drop than a single ...say... dragon.

Heheh...

(But a thousand dragons bundled together is a different matter. :-) )