Very New to Origami

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
Jupiter

Very New to Origami

Post by Jupiter »

I've just taken up origami :D and really need recommendations on a good book of instructions. I learned how to do the peace crane only because I got online and found diagrams as my printed instructions were so hard to follow. :twisted: I mean I've learned the basic folds but when following through the directions further it seems something is always missing.
So I'm also asking is how did all of you get started and became successful at it.
barlou

Post by barlou »

Hello Jupiter

Personally, I have been folding for a year and like you, i got some problem at the beginning. I think reading a diagram is just a question of practice.
I have been <reading> origami books for 6 months, once i got used to origami symbols ...
I think you should begin with diagrams you can find on the net (intermediate is not so hard).
And If I got stuck, I used to examinate whole diagram, which is very useful.

But practising is the base of origami (in my opinion).
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

my first real origami book was montroll's "origami sculptures". I got stuck on most of the models, but instead of ending all this, I bought another book. basic folds are very clear descriped by Peter Budai at his homepage. you can download his usefull basic-fold documentary here:
http://members.tripod.com/~PeterBudai/Folds/Folds.pdf
his whole page is nice: http://members.tripod.com/~PeterBudai/Index_en.htm

barlou's idea with origami.com wasn't bad, but if I was you, I would start with easy stuff to get some practice (especially with reading diagrams). if you think, all this is getting too boring, you can enter the next level :) its also a very good idea to fold something, you are interested in, like birds of fish. I made the experience, that it was always way easier to fold something I was really interested in.

good books to buy would be:
John Montroll - Favorite Animals in Origami
John Montroll - Easy Origami
John Montroll - Teach yourself Origami
Robert Harbin - Secrets of Origami
Kunihiko Kasahara - Origami Made Easy

greetings

Christian