Introductions

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
CruxisCrystal

Re: Introductions

Post by CruxisCrystal »

Hi everyone,
I have been fascinated with origami since i was very young. I used to see a lot of it on Japan's Home Videos. Then sad to say growing up I did forget about it somewhat. Then about 3 years ago my brother gave me a book called "Practical Origami" by Rick Beech. I looked at it and never got around to trying it out. So then recently I came across the same book and I decided to actually try out the basic folding techniques and then start of with the simplest model being the crane. Before long in just under an hour I was making paper cranes by the dozen from memory trying out different techniques that basically produce the same result. I can't wait to challenge myself further by starting with 3d type origami. I already went Amazon crazy and ordered a whole batch of different kinds of paper. I looked at a lot of vids on youtube to keep inspiring myself. I am so addicted I spend more time with origami than I do with my video games now.. and that's saying plenty. (Not to mention I should be preparing for my SAT classes ahead). Oh well nice to meet everyone and I hope we can all be great friends through the common interest of Origami! :D

~CruxisCrystal
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Hi and welcome on board! Just wait until you discover action models like the ones in Jeremy Shafer's books "Origami to Astonish and Amuse" and "Origami Ooh La La!". Origami can be very addictive.
HS1

Post by HS1 »

Hi everyone

I've started origami from "the origami handbook" by richard beech when I was very young, but went on and off(usually off) until earlier this year. Then I started practicing origami seriously and also had some interest into modular and golden venture origami. I'm usually interested in arthropod models, and I'm glad to be here. :D
haomaru87

Post by haomaru87 »

origami_8 wrote:Origami can be very addictive.
I second this!

And welcome guys!
origami deadspace

Post by origami deadspace »

hi im new and as my name sujests i like the game dead space
lyon0100

Post by lyon0100 »

Hi, my name is Peter Lyon and I'm new to these boards. I'm a physicist studying computational solutions for quantum mechanics and a my only two hobbies, really, are Origami and weightlifting.

I was first introduced to origami as kid. The president of my church (LDS or Mormon) was given a long chain of thousands of paper crains as a present from the youth of our church in southeast asia. And he gave my twin brother and I a chunck of a couple hundred and we loved them.

Later I learned to fold a couple of flowers, and I'd give them girls and they'd go crazy over them. My best one is at this website http://dev.origami.com/images_pdf/flower.pdf (it's a great one)

I'v been folding more complex models for the last couple of years. I bought Lang's book and I've folded all the models in there, including the clock and moose.

I'm now working on Lang's Roosevelt Elk. If I can get that, I'll be happy. If anyone knows where to get very large paper, I'd appreciate it.
Washi

Post by Washi »

Incredibly late introduction. ._.

So I'm just your average folder, I'm not really going to say my name. Perfectly honest, I joined here underaged. Really, really sorry about that. :( But I'm 13 now... so I'm planning on being more active. ;) I won't get banned right here and right now or anything right? D:

I got started on origami when I was young... I was hooked. Soon I got my first book (too lazy to check the title from my bookshelf :roll: ), and that's when I guess this hobby really started.

Recently I ordered larger paper from origami-shop and I can't wait to fold harder models with it... but for now I'm stuck with 9 inch tracing paper and I can't fold much. >.<

So only hobby I have is origami, I enjoy foruming, playing games (especially Pokemon), and literally screwing my brain trying to fold crease patterns (a feat in which I have yet to properly achieve).

- Washi :?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

A late welcome to you!

No worries, age doesn't matter on this Forum. The youngest member I remember telling her age was nine years old. As long as you stay on topic you are welcome here no matter how old you are.
Washi

Post by Washi »

Oh really!?

Well that's awesome; I was never aware of that. :D
Thank you~
BurningPaperDragons?

Post by BurningPaperDragons? »

Hello. I'm a little late in introducing myself, as I registered about a week ago. I am 15, but have been folding for only 5 years. I have made a couple of my own models, though. I have never tried a crease pattern, but I will soon. I am from the U.S. and I live in California. I like playing the piano, reading, and playing video games, as well as doing Origami. :mrgreen:
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

ello gov nor
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
Sroge4

Post by Sroge4 »

Sorta-late intro. I'm 13, and I come from Minnesota, US. I've been doing origami for a couple of months now. The best model I've been able to make has been SK's Pegasus. I ordered the discovery pack from Origami-Shop, but it's about almost week late, so I hope it comes soon. Right now I'm folding from 30cm paper, not sure what kind, but it isn't the best, and it tears easily :? That's about it!

-Sroge

Now off to make the Hercules beetle... heh heh heh....
toto93

Post by toto93 »

Hi, I'm 17 and have been folding a little bit for a few years, but recently I started to get more into it. I ordered some 35cm tant and the discovery pack from origami-shop, this lead me on to try more complex origami, which got me confused, which lead me here. I like it here, everyone seems nice and really helpful it seems like a really great community. Hopefully, one day, I'll be as good as some of the guys on here.
TheUnChosenOne

Post by TheUnChosenOne »

Hi,
I guess I'm probably the youngest one here because I'm getting into middle school. My first model was an X-wing that I made with my cousin. So far, in my opinion, the hardest model I've done is the bee by Marc Kirschenbaum (<<<is that spelled right?). Uh, I fold with 15x15cm Origami Study Kyowa paper, and yeah, that's about it.
"No problem is so big or complicated that it can't be run away from."
--Charles Schulz
origamidude96

Post by origamidude96 »

:mrgreen: Welcome to the forum! I joined around the same age as you, but I wasn't really active until this year when school got out. The forum's a lot of fun, and everyone's really nice and helpful.