G. N.'s Website

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
gilad_zn

G. N.'s Website

Post by gilad_zn »

Hi, this is my website (Gilad Naor). Do not confuse with Gilad Aharoni's amazing site.

Currently it only has some pictures the models I folded, by I intend to add some more info, like folding tips and the like.
All the pictures have reference (book/link) to where I got the diagrams

My site is at

http://free.hostdepartment.com/g/gilad/
stuckie27

Post by stuckie27 »

cool,

I like the favorites part

I have folded yoda and the zebra from foil, will post pictures
saj

Post by saj »

Hi Gilad,

Welcome to the forum. I just can't seem to be able to get into your site - the page is forever loading.

Any suggestions?

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
gilad_zn

Site back up

Post by gilad_zn »

Yes, it seems that Host Department was down for a couple of days. Anyway, the site is back up. I've updated it quite a bit with more pictures. I also made a new tips section. I'd really like to hear what you have to say about it.
stuckie27

Post by stuckie27 »

Zebra from foil

I really like the way it turns out with foil :lol:
Last edited by stuckie27 on February 20th, 2004, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilad_zn

Problems with the site???

Post by gilad_zn »

Great Zebra!!!!
Now if only making foil paper weren't that messy.... :wink:

Anyways, I seem to keep on having problems with the site. If you encountar problems with the site, you can now go to:

http://planet.nana.co.il/giladzn/

It's located in Israel so I think it will be a little slower....

I'd realy like to get your comments on the Tips section...

Bye!
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

You make a good point about not needing to follow diagrams exactly once you have the base of a model folded. (It's something I should bear in mind myself more often.)

Try using a blunted cocktail stick if you're having trouble getting at an awkward point inside a model.

I understand people not liking models that use cuts or glue, but I don't get square purism at ALL. (It just seems totally arbitrary to me to nominate only one shape as being acceptable for folding.) Lots of models that I really like use non-square paper, like Max Hulme's Jack-in-the-box, Michael LaFosse's Happy Good Luck Bat and Neal Elias's Last Waltz.
gilad_zn

New Address

Post by gilad_zn »

The new address is:
http://www.origamitips.com/

The old address will also work.

Now that I have a host that allows CGI, I plan to write a couple of scripts which will allows automatic uploading of tips and pictures by anyone who wants.
Cheers!
Gilad Naor
https://blog.giladnaor.com
stuckie27

Post by stuckie27 »

Whats CGI?
saj

Post by saj »

CGI (Common Gateway Interface) is a complicated server technology, just like ASP (Active Server Pages), PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor), CFM (Cold Fusion) and Perl. It's probably the most complicated to learn (at least in my experience).

If you have access to PHP, I recommed that you learn it; it's a lot simpler than other server technologies, and because it's open source it means that there are lots of free scripts lying around :D

This forum runs on a server which has PHP enabled, it lets me do funky things like this Forum, make upload scripts; which regular HTML cannot handle.

Hope I've not gone on for too long!

saj
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

CGI is somewhat different from PHP; CGI is the interface that allows server scripts (written in any language) to talk to the rest of the world. PHP is a combination interface and language, all rolled up into a server module.

Either way, if you want to remain sane while juggling a few hundred pictures, use a script. :D
saj

Post by saj »

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

saj
gilad_zn

Post by gilad_zn »

I've started the major update to my site that I've been thinking of doing for a long time. The major improvement is that anyone can now write their own articles and submit them to be published. The rest of the site will also be upgraded later on with PHP scripts.

You are welcome to submit your own articles. The only rule is that it has to be origami-related. Please note that if you want to use pictures, it is possible, but I cannot afford to host them, so you will have to host them elsewhere.

I will slowly be restoring the articles I had before, and will also write new ones.

comments are greatly welcome.
Cheers!
Gilad Naor
https://blog.giladnaor.com