Business Card Origami

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
malachi

Business Card Origami

Post by malachi »

I recently spent several hours working on my business card origami site. It now documents almost all of the business card folds I know of and it has crease patterns for many of them.

http://www.nashvillebirthpartners.com/m ... index.html
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I like the content of your page, but the design is not very inviting. maybe you should give it a clearer design? many people would probably be overstrained (term?) by the amount of text.
I really like the idea of a buisness card page :)

Christian
malachi

Post by malachi »

I think overwhelmed is the word you're looking for.

What would you propose as an alternative?

I have intentionally avoided putting a lot of pictures on the page because I don't want the page to become cluttered with images. In general, I prefer text, I guess that shows in my design. I did consider having pictures of the models in the page itself, but I felt like that sort of distracted from the content that I felt was more important. However, a compromise might be to have thumbnails of some of the models.

I also considered trying to split the page up into two or more sub pages, but I had trouble thinking of a logical way to split the information that would actually make much of a difference. But, that probably wouldn't be to your liking either, as the content itself would have been the same.

In many ways, I am constrained by my age, relative to the internet and web design. I don't like to use lots of images, I don't like to use frames, and I don't like to use complicated tricks to produce an effect. I like text with images added as needed. As you point out, this may not be the most inviting format, but I believe it remains fairly accessable in terms of technology. Then again, I am a bit of a luddite and I still use a text based browser for some of my web browsing, as well as a couple other "alternative" browsers. I'm also sensitive to the fact that there are people that still use modems or other low bandwidth access methods. That's not to say that I'm not open to suggestions, it just means that they would need solid reasoning to inspire me to change.
=)
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I agree with many of your opinions regarding to the design of a webpage. that's, why I kept my page as simple as possible. frames should be no problem for most users, because lynx and alikes are rarely in use, and most users will have the possibility to switch to a more common browser.

I am a friend of welcome screens and basic inventories. so you could probably start with a more structured starting-page, from where the surfer could choose where to go.

not easy, i know.

Christian
malachi

Post by malachi »

I can see where you're coming from. I still dislike frame for other reasons, like it makes it hard to bookmark a specific page and you can't always force the page to be displayed in a frame, which can really hinder navigation and presentation.

I'm not a very social person, that was my friendly welcome page. :P

As I said, I struggled with the idea of breaking up the content into seperate pages, but I couldn't find a good way to logically do it. If I put, say, the modulars on one page, that means that 90% of the content is on that page, so why not just put all of it together?

I think, when and if I get around to working on the structure of the page again, I will try linking to one or two examples of each model with thumbnails on the page so it's easier to see what each model looks like, in general, at a glance.