Hello! I'm new

New to the Forum? Introduce yourself here!
lotsofsnails

Hello! I'm new

Post by lotsofsnails »

Hello,

My names Mike and I'm 16 from Bristol, England. I've been doing Origami since I was 4. My favourite book is 'Origami insects' by Robert Lang and I really wanna get Origami insects 2 but I dunno how. I love making creatures with lots of appendages and little legs. I almost exclusively fold animals, I don't like human figures and modular Origami makes me so stressed. I try to make up my own models but I don't know how to do it properly (well I can't afford 'Origami design secrets' it's £36!) and so I just fold and fold and fold until I arrive at something. I guess the only really professional model I've ever created is a snail (I love snails), which I did many drafts of. Here is a photo

http://www.anjiesnails.mypetpages.net/i ... e_id=84668

I just wrote the instructions so I might be able to get them online soon. Snails aren't really a very good Origami subject but I'm really proud of mine :D

umm ... I guess I'm quite an advanced folder but ever since I joined the BOS I've been a bit humbled. It also strikes me how the Origami community seem to like the scientific, mechanical side of it, and try and make more and more complicated models, I just like models to look beautiful and that's it. I also don't like how cutting or using multiple sheets is so frowned upon. I hope I can make some new friends here, and learn some tips on folding.

Sorry I'm rambling on and on ...

Kind regards

Mike
mleonard

Re: hello! i'm new

Post by mleonard »

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum!

Like your snail - good colour change.
lotsofsnails wrote:umm...i guess i'm quite an advanced folder but ever since i joined the BOS ive been a bit humbled. it also strikes me how the origami community seem to like the scientific, mechanical side of it, and try and make more and more complicated models, i just like models to look beautiful and thats it. i also dont like how cutting or using multiple sheets is so frowned upon.
That's only a small part of the origami community - there are lots of us who value beauty and simplicity. Complexity and "purism" for their own sake seem to me like an artistic dead end. There's a certain Mr T O'Hare in Bristol who I'm sure would agree with this...

Have you thought about submitting diagrams of your snail to the BOS mag?
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

welcome to the forum

i gotta say i love that snail. i've seen a few varieties but i think thats my favourite. when you have the diagrams let me know!
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

Cool snail :)
saj

Post by saj »

Hey Mike,

Any chance you can make it to the BOS Convention in Leicester, in April 200?

I'll be there, and I hope John McKeever and Mark Leonard can make it too!

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

'Bout time you made it to another convention, young Sajid.

Yup, I'll be there. Of course, I haven't actually booked it yet...
saj

Post by saj »

mleonard wrote:'Bout time you made it to another convention, young Sajid.
:wink: Absolutely.
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.