OUSA Convention 2012 Thread (Totally Unofficial)

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
maddoghoek100

OUSA Convention 2012 Thread (Totally Unofficial)

Post by maddoghoek100 »

With just three weeks to go it seems that a dedicated thread for the OUSA 2012 convention in NYC is in order. So here it is. Fashion Institute of Technology in New York City, June 22–25, 2012

Post anything you want as long as it is about the OUSA 2012 convention

Post if:
- Your attending or are looking for people to meet up with
- Its your first time attending and you have questions about how it all works
- You have been around the block a few times and have good advice for others
- You have a lunch/dinner recommendation or are looking for one
maddoghoek100

Re: OUSA Convention 2012 Thread (Totally Unofficial)

Post by maddoghoek100 »

well im sure i am not the only one attending the convention but I have a few minutes so I will jumpstart the conversation on a couple of topics:

Convention Classess: There will be so many classes how will I decide: check out the display models on Friday night or Saturday morning before classes. I will be teaching the Dragon Whelp based on the feedback folks sent through. Here is a tip: bring a pen and make a list of backups in case your first choice sells out. Now to go fill out some paperwork on it, tough call on high intermediate or complex and 1 session or 2. We are going to be in trouble finishing in 45 minutes if i have to explain how to fold a bird base.

Convention Displays: Should I display or should I not display? Better decide quick, like right now, or by the 12th. ill have a tasty selection of original models on display. I hope people like them, and if they don’t i hope they have the good sense to lie about liking them. I know a few people will have excellent examples of some real classics. May be the first time is see a Black Forest Clock in person.

But im not very good, should I display anyway: Up to you, maybe pick your best example and agree to display It on a friends table. But what if I don’t have any friends? Ok ok, Senior Tortuga will leave a corner of his table for your crummy model. Your welcome Toogs

Breakfast: If it is your first time in town or you are looking for early onset diabetes do not miss the Donut Plant on 23rd street. If you think bagels come in your freezer section check out Murray's Bagels on 8th ave

Lunch: feeling exotic, a few blocks to Bareburger on 8th Ave. Burgers <> Exotic you say, well they are when they are made from wild boar

Adult Beverages: Cant go wrong at Mustang Sallys, but you can go better at Trailer Park on 23rd street, you won’t regret an order of tater tots.

Dont Forget Desert: Billys Bakery for evening cupcakes, cookies, cheesecake, and the peanut butter chocolate pie is outstanding

Walking is for losers, cant I just order delivery: YES YOU CAN, hit up Westville on menupages.com, phone number Phone: 212-924-2223, 212-924-2201. Perhaps the best chicken finger on earth and you cannot go wrong with the mac and cheese with smoked bacon. Order chicken fingers with buffalo sauce and mac and cheese, that is crazy talk, or is it.

I want to meet such and such person, however will I find them: How the heck should I know who you want to meet or where they will be. Now I on the other hand will be wearing convention credentials the will have a picture of my avatar on them. But there are a million maddoghoeks (or at least 100) how can you be sure it’s THE MDH100 you are talking to. The fates will decide, and come to think of it you may be happier if it is a different one.
Last edited by maddoghoek100 on June 6th, 2012, 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Glad to hear that you are going to teach the dragon whelp. Now lets hope I will get into the class :-)
Is there any opportunity to eat healthy food as well?
I'm not sure whether I'll bring a black forest cuckoo clock with me. I will bring some models along but won't have any on display, since you have to do this volunteering stuff to get display space. If anyone wants to see my models just ask me and I'll show them to you. How to find me? Well, that's me: http://www.origamiaustria.at/od2012.php?lang=1&pic=157
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

well you only have to volunteer for an hour to get display space, and who doesn't want to stand around an talk origami for an hour anyway:

"on my left we have an excellent example of the ancient dragon designed by satoshi kamiya, and here on my right we also have an excellent example of the ancient dragon designed by satoshi kamiya, and here in front of me we have a .... (im just saying there will probably be a few ancient dragons there, and no reason there shouldn't be, heck there should probably just be a tribute table to put all of the ancient dragons in one spot.)

your asking the wrong guy about healthy options, but short answer is yes. Energy Kitchen on 17th jumps out at me and they also do delivery.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

origami_8 wrote:... Is there any opportunity to eat healthy food as well? ...
From my answer in another thread:

There is a Chipotles at south corner across the street from FIT (I think Mexican food is healthy, it is mostly vegatables and some meat). I wouldn't recommend BRGR the hamburguers are waaay expensive and nothing out of the ordinary tastewise.

If you go West and a bit to the South, you'll get to Chelsea. There are plenty of restaurants there. The usual salad, pasta and drink for less than $10 which in NYC is a great bargain. One of the cheap salad/pasta/drink places is located at 8th ave and 29 th st.

There is an Indian restaurant (again vegetables and meat mostly),it is located south along 7th ave between 24th and 23rd like 3 blocks from FIT, it is called Bombay Garden.

When I was looking, I found a place I haven't been to, but I did some research and it has good reviews. It is called Uncle Nick's and is a Greek restaurant located across 29th st from the restaurant I mentioned before located at 8th ave and 29 th st.

I think getting to the west corner of FIT there is a Persian restaurant, I've never been there, but some friends went there with Brian k Webb and John Montroll last year and they liked it.
origamiguy

Post by origamiguy »

I liked Nick's Greek and Pars is the Persian restaurant I eat at every convention on Saturday night with Montroll and Szinger.

Here is a Google map of the FIT area with places I like to visit and places that are good to eat.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=20 ... 4,0.035405
Cheers,
Brian K. Webb
http://www.eorigamipublishing.com
origamiguy

Post by origamiguy »

The only time I have seen the Ancient Dragon at convention is when Satoshi brings his. The vast majority is original work. Every year there is something that stands out, like last year it was Beth Johnson's display.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bethorigami/

Back in 2007 it was Sipho Mabona seemingly coming from out of nowhere, and this year he is special guest.
Cheers,
Brian K. Webb
http://www.eorigamipublishing.com
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

bombay garden is my go to take out indian and you can not go wrong with the chicken saag masala and a garlic naan. Pongsari is great for thai and uncle nicks saganaki is awesome. If by chance you want to go upscale or are looking for a night out with a love interest the Red Cat is off the charts.

Im not knocking the ancient dragon and I would not want to discourage someone who is doing great renditions of existing models from displaying their work. Finishing a display quality AD is an achievement and It feels a bit like a rite of passage. I seem to remember seeing a few last year, but would agree much of the display area is original work.

To be sure beth's sheep last year rocked my world when i saw it.
cabbs

Post by cabbs »

This will be my first year attending, and I'm quite excited! I hope to get in to some of te higher level classes (at least one would be great), but either way it will be an honor to learn from so many talented folders. I will be doing a display, but no original work really worth showing yet. I think some of my interpretations on the models I've folded is unique enough that people would like to see it; and there may or may not be an ancient dragon at my table (and by that I mean there definitely will be :D). I'm really excited to meet everyone!
cabbs

Post by cabbs »

When will the 2 presenters be speaking? Is that during the Annual Meeting 5:30-6:30 Saturday?
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

For those who have not noticed yet, tentative class schedules have been published at OUSA along with the teacher notes describing the models.

http://origamiusa.org/files/convention2 ... hedule.pdf
http://origamiusa.org/files/convention2 ... hedule.pdf
http://origamiusa.org/files/convention2 ... sories.pdf

There look to be some good classes and a few open spots if people have intermediate models they would like to teach.

Safe travels to all as they come into town or move about around town.
foldingpaper

Post by foldingpaper »

i've been folding about 6 months and this is going to be my first convention! i hope i can take a class with either jason ku, john montroll, robert lang, or michael lafosse.... or ideally all of them! i would also love to pick their brains face to face
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

With 6 months under your belt im not sure what level you are at but you probably dont want to get in too far over your head in classes. If you've got the skills go for it.

- I would recommend Jason's dog class if it weren't up against my dragon. Jason is also a very good teacher and will give a lot of insight into his design process. Ive seen him fold the jet and it is very cool, but it is challenging.

- Have never taken a class with Lafosse, but it is a very nice intermediate model. Probably worth its weight in gold to learn wet folding from Lafosse. I dont think a picture has been loaded to the flickr, but i believe this is the model.

- Both of Dr Langs classes look to be great and he is a fantastic teacher. Both of the Lang classes are also for complex models, see warning above

- John is an amazing designer, but his class may or may not be your cup of tea. It may not give you as much interaction as the above classes, as he usually passes out diagrams. So it is more of an individual folding exercise in a room full of people. If thats what you are looking for you cant beat it. If its not look to some of the items below

Im sure all of the classes will be great, but a few other names jumped at me when i read the list (If i miss folks please don't be offended):

- Makoto Yamaguchi - You may also know his publishing house Origami House or his protege Satoshi Kamiya. He is a master of simple elegant design
- Won Park - Perhaps the best money folder out there for my money :)
- Sok Song - Fantastic designer, excellent teacher and runs Creased Magazine
- Nicolas Terry - You may know his web store Origami-Shop.com
- Talo Kawasaki - Great teacher and a master of shaping
- John Szinger - If you want to fold all unpublished models this may be THE class to take. Dont quote me, but ill bet you will be test folding his new book
- Marcio Noguchi - Heck of a teacher, is a master diagramer and happens to be teaching a great model in Wus Owl
foldingpaper

Post by foldingpaper »

thanks for the great info!
steingar

Post by steingar »

Looks like I'm headed that way, quite unexpectedly. I put in to teach three classes yesterday (first thing I did when I realized I was going) but I doubt I was sufficiently timely to make it onto the schedule. See you all there.