New origami store

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
origamipapermonster

New origami store

Post by origamipapermonster »

Hi everyone!
I wanted to let you know about our new online store that sells origami paper. It is called http://www.origamipapermonster.com. We operate out of Canada and ship to everyone in USA and Canada. Check out our site and blog (blog.origamipapermonster.com) and let us know what you think! We offer free shipping on all orders over $75.

We are also looking for suggestions and feedback on how we can make our site better and what other origami products people are looking for. If you have any comments, please post them here or email us at info@origamipapermonster.com. Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by origamipapermonster on February 3rd, 2013, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.origamipapermonster.com - Canada and USA's online origami paper store
papermage

Re: New origami store

Post by papermage »

It would be nice if you also sold tissue foil. Otherwise, great job on the site!
origamipapermonster

Cool thanks for the suggestion! We will add that to the list! We just got in some hanji paper too - will be adding that to the site shortly :)
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

Hello.
Great store. You dont see many new origami stores like, ever. There are maybe 5 out there. I have a few suggestions. Many folders these days dont use 15cm except modulars and tests, and smaller models. I would really like to see some large paper. Make your store stand out. Some elephant hide and stardream would be nice, as MANY folders use elephant hide, and for some, it is hard to obtain them. Have a nice day, and consider these please.

Jake
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
origamipapermonster

Suggestions and points well taken - thank you. The issue we're having with larger paper is shipping. I've asked this on another thread and it seems like people are generally ok with us prefolding the paper gently to save on shipping costs (larger tubes cost alot more to ship). Are you ok with prefolded items as well?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

prefolding can be easily taken out by putting methylcellulose on it, which needs to be done anyway on most expensive papers.

Which reminds me - you could carry methylcellulose likewise.

anyway, could you private message me when you get the hanji in stock? i'll probably be ordering some..
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origamipapermonster

Yup we're looking into that too! I'll send you a private message - we just got some hanji paper in :)
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

I am ok with the paper being prefolded. Also look into shipping it with a tube..

Hanji and Elephant Hide would be nice.
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

origamipapermonster wrote:Cool thanks for the suggestion! We will add that to the list! We just got in some hanji paper too - will be adding that to the site shortly :)
Also, there is a difference between "foil" and "tissue foil" paper. (S)he meant tissue foil not foil paper. Tissue foil is much better (in general and my opinion).

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some links that sell tissue foil to give you an idea...
http://www.origami-shop.com/en/foilpape ... 1_258.html

tissuefoil.com - EDIT: This link is dead! The website is gone off the web.
--------------------------------------------------------------

So I think you get the idea. If you can sell Tissue Foil (its VERY hard to obtain!!) your going to get alot of buisness..

Thanks,
Jake
origamipapermonster

Interesting - I'm reading online that alot of people make tissue foil themselves!
We're getting in some metallic paper which apparently folds very similarly to tissue foil. But I will see if I can get tissue foil anywhere too!
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

The only place I've seen tissue-foil for sale is at origami-shop, and it comes with the tag:

"These papers are proprietary products to our shop because they are manufactured by us !
- Developed in partnership with a Thai paper mill
- Cut into squares and packaged by us"

Traditionally it has been a DIY folding material. I made a batch of it once and wasn't that impressed with it, and most of the tissue paper used in creating it does not age well (issues with fading, cracks, etc.). I haven't folded the paper Nicholas sells, but I have confidence that he sorted that out however. Since he is in partnership with a Thai paper mill, it probably uses handmade tissues similar to hanji, kozo, etc. and the bonding agent is probably something more paper friendly than standard spray glue. Nicholas Terry is a member of the forum here, so perhaps he could give you more information on it or you could work out a deal on selling his paper.
origamipapermonster

Thank you - i just sent him an email and hope to have some good news
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i would pm frumious bandersnatch, a member here. he has pointed out that terry's "tissue foil" is easily purchased stateside from craft/hobby stores.

if you could get 35 cm japanese foil, i think that would be a better product than the 30.5 cm one. this would be a trick, as there is no stateside distributor, and i know that you get yours from mountain valley. kimscrane successfully got some 35 cm japanese foil some time back, but have since run out.
FoldSkate

Post by FoldSkate »

Just to let everyone know, the tissue foil Nicholas terry sells is completely different from tissue foil you make yourself. It is actually not tissue foil at all. I think they should rename the paper, but just be aware. Terry's tissue foil is of medium thickness and ranges from soft to very crisp. Creases are easily reversed because There is NO actual foil in the paper. Also you can't just waltz right in to a store and buy actual tissue foil (tissue glued on both sides of a sheet of kitchen foil) you have to make it yourself. There are no suppliers that manufacture actual tissue foil.
Tl;dr Nicholas Terry's tissue foil is not actual tissue foil
origamipapermonster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We just added unyru, sugar cane, metallic frosted, mango, jute, AND gold thread paper! If anyone has any other feedback or suggestions for us, please let us know.