Making an origami club

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
AncientDragon101

Making an origami club

Post by AncientDragon101 »

Hi guys, i'm trying to make an origami club at my school, along with my friend (origamifan11). We are looking for a good model to get started with, something to separate the strong from the weak :D . We want to have an origami club where we can fold with other folders, not where me and my friend have to teach and explain diagrams to everybody else. :evil:

In terms of resources, me and my friend together own both Satoshi Kamiya books, all Nicholas Terry's books and a few of the more recent Tanteidan mags (last year or so I got a subscription). Diagrams please.

Thanks guys

AncientDragon101
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Making an origami club

Post by roodborst »

Do you want lots of people joining the group, beginners. Or a small club with advanced folders? Choose your models based on the level of the members.
AncientDragon101

Me and my friend have been folding for 5+ years, so we are looking for a sort of club where we can collaborate and do origami with those who have some experience, and possibly those looking to improve their origami (intermediate+, diagram reading experience etc.). So more the small club with more advanced folders. Presumably, the first time lots of origami hopefuls will turn out, so a model not so hard to turn off everyone but something to filter out those with no experience whatsoever. Maybe something like Satoshi Kamiya's "Chocobo (Yellow Bird)"?
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

I would say that you will have a hard time attracting advanced folders in a school environment. I would personally aim at making an origami community that welcomes and accommodates all level of folders instead.

Organize a first meeting where you only fold simple to intermediate models, see how that goes and then go from there. About model selection, try selecting something that isn't niche like the Chocobo (not everyone knows Final Fantasy, so it wouldn't be a very interesting model to some). Make some models with fun sequences (Montroll, Maekawa, Diaz, etc.) that don't necessarily tend towards super complex like Kamiya models.
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

Thank you for the advice Razzmatazz, we'll probably do what you suggested. Also, my friend (ancientdragon101) was exaggerating when he said we have been folding for 5+ years, I have been folding for 2 years but he has been folding for about 5. The problem is that because we are quite experienced in the world of origami, models that we find easy are very hard for many others. I once tried to teach some friends to fold Kade Chan's Fiery Dragon, which ended up in about 10 people continuously saying "Do it for me!" and "Is this right?". In the end, they just folded paper hats.
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
AncientDragon101

Thanks guys for all the advice, our origami club started today, and we decided to open it to everyone with Roman Diaz's Bull Skull. About 15 people, a few more experienced, all in all not a bad showing for the first time! Thanks for all your advice!

AncientDragon101