ADROIT Origami meetings - Dallas TX

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Tankoda

ADROIT Origami meetings - Dallas TX

Post by Tankoda »

Greetings origami people! I founded a Dallas-based Origami group about a year ago, called ADROIT Origami (Artists Doing Remarkable Origami In Texas). Check out our website.https://adroitorigami.com/.
I have not "advertised" meetings before, as we did not have a regular meeting place, but we have finally acquired a permanent place to meet. Our next meeting will be December 6, 6:30 to 8 PM at the Renner Frankford Library.
More info here: https://adroitorigami.com/events.
We would love to see you there!

Thanks!
Tankoda

Re: ADROIT Origami meetings - Dallas TX

Post by Tankoda »

Our next meeting will be January 3, 6-8 PM at the Renner Frankford Library.
December meeting was a big success!

Meetings are the first Thursday of every month from 6 to 8 pm in their Auditorium. They have a projector, a big room, AND they allow food. Meetings go from 6-8 (we will let you know if there is an exception).
We will be folding the Single Strip Square Curlicue designed by Assia Brill. Paper will be provided. There will also be announcements which will come along with a presentation and an origami help/show-off perhaps. We might have food, will post that when we know for sure.
Hope to see you there! Spread the word, these meetings are open to the public.
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Quick update
We were just notified by the library of a scheduling mishap. As a result, we will not be able to meet in the auditorium this next meeting. Instead, we will meet inside the main library (the date and time will not change). If you walk into the library, there is an area in the back with a big table, and as I understand it, we will be meeting there. If you cannot find it right away a librarian should be able to help you, but I don't think we will be too hard to find. We will discuss at the meeting how we want to adjust to this schedule change in the future. I don't think we can have food in the library itself, so probably don't count on that. There will probably be a few other small changes that we will have to make as well.
That should be all. Happy New Year!
Travis
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

I have spoken with the library about how to solve the scheduling hiccup that meant we had to meet in the main library in January. We will now meet on the THIRD Thursday of every month, from 6-8 pm. Meetings will be in the auditorium.

In short, our February meeting will be Thursday, February 21, from 6 to 8 pm at the Renner Frankford library. We will meet at 6 in the main library, and switch to the auditorium at 6:30. There will be a class beforehand starting at 5:00 in the main library aimed at more experienced folders.
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Next Meeting Thu March 21st, 6-8 PM, Renner Frankford Branch Library, Auditorium
Advanced class beforehand, 5-6 PM

Details: https://adroitorigami.com/events
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

We've been having meetings, I just forgot to post them here! But January's a big one, so here's the scoop. If you're in the neighborhood (or the state), you should come.

Members of ADROIT,
Welcome to 2020. Our December meeting was a big success – I gave a presentation at the Lincoln Experience Center in Frisco and raised more than $500 for Paper for Water!
Our January meeting is going to be a big one – I’d like to get 2020 off to a good start for ADROIT. I still have a few things to clear up to make sure it’s possible, but the plan is that I will lead a demonstration on how to create Tissue-Foil Origami Paper!
The meeting will be Thursday, January 16, 6-8 pm at the Renner Frankford Library.

The main focus of the meeting will be a
TISSUE FOIL PRESENTATION
I will teach those who show up how to create a type of origami paper known as Tissue Foil. Tissue foil paper is created by combining tissue paper and foil using a spray adhesive. I will bring all required supplies, but if you have a specific tissue paper that you would like to use (or even a foil), or just would like to experiment, feel free to bring some of your own supplies.
There are several benefits to using Tissue Foil paper:
• Size: Since you are creating your own sheet, you can make a much larger square than is typically available at craft stores. We will mostly be making 18 inch squares at the meeting, but I will also bring supplies to cut some smaller ones. This is very useful for creating more complicated designs.
• Customizable: You can choose the color combination that you want for the front and back side of the paper. This is particularly useful if you want a combination you can’t just buy online – say you wanted to fold a toucan and need black/yellow paper. While this paper isn’t readily available to buy, using tissue foil, you can create your own.
• Shaping: Tissue foil provides the benefits of both tissue paper and foil. You can get the colors of tissue paper and the shaping abilities of foil – it holds its shape very well, allowing for dynamic finished models. At the same time, you don’t have to worry about the flimsiness of the tissue paper and the garish shininess of the foil.
• Texture: Tissue foil paper has a unique muted glimmer that comes from the semi-transparency of the tissue paper coupled with the shininess of the foil.
• Bottom line: tissue foil is a pretty great introduction to the world of making your own paper.

The demonstration will go more or less like this:
We will go outside (Yes, outside. You may want to bring a jacket or something.) where things will be set up. First I will make a sheet of tissue foil in front of everyone, going through each step so that everyone can understand. Then people can begin to make their own – I intend to have a few stations set up, so multiple people can be doing it at once. It takes several people to make a good sheet anyways, so teamwork whoop. I’ll bring all the supplies. Once everyone who wants a sheet has one, we’ll clean up and then go back inside, where we can cut them to square depending on how much time we have left.

Other business at the meeting: we may take down or adjust our display at the library.
We NEED to discuss meeting times for the coming 4 months as I may have a scheduling conflict.
I have some pretty big good news.
There will be the regular announcements and such. If we have time to fold some of the tissue foil we make, might try that.

Anyways that’s about all. I’ll keep y’all posted if anything changes. Please show up and don’t forget to invite friends, these meetings are still open to the public.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there,
Travis.
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

MEETINGS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THE FOURTH WEDNESDAY.

Our coming February meeting will be in about two weeks, February 26, 2020, 6-8 pm in the Auditorium of the Renner Frankford Library. IT IS NOT THIS EVENING. WE MOVED TO THE FOURTH WEDNESDAY.
You should come.

The main demonstration will be how to fold Splash! (Swan) by Satoshi Kamiya. As long as the Auditorium is available, we will have a brief presentation including a bio of the Satoshi Kamiya (A MASTER), and step-by-step diagrams for the model.
Additionally, there will be the usual announcements and such. Most notably, OrigamiUSA has opened up scholarship applications to send young folders to their conventions, so we will have a brief presentation about the scholarship program, benefits if you win, how to apply, and some tips from a prior winner who is now on the scholarship selection committee…
We will discuss this month’s origami forum design challenge, and anything else going on in the origami world.
Feel free to bring models you are working on or have just finished to show off or get help with.

As always, these meetings are open to the public (you do NOT have to be an origami master to come!), so bring friends and people.

Hope to see you there.

Travis, president
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Coronavirus has messed everything up, so our next meeting is online (Which means everyone can join!).
This Friday, April 3, 6-8 pm CDT. Link here: https://www.facebook.com/travis.nolan.3 ... roadcaster
Details here: https://adroitorigami.com/events
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Our main April digital meeting will be Wednesday, April 22, 6-8 PM CDT.
We had a little difficulty with our last online meeting, but this has been sorted out. Our meetings from now on will be through Zoom, which will allow me to see your models if you need help, and make it easier to talk/discuss.
The link to attend is here: https://zoom.us/j/982323314

We will be folding Hideo Komatsu’s wonderful dragon design.
ImageT21 model 30/57 - "Dragon" by Hideo Komatsu by Daniel, on Flickr

6 inch kami works, (I’ve folded it from 1.5 inch paper I think…) but bigger might be better for your first fold. It’s a very fun and clever model.
I am considering doing other Zoom classes, besides our monthly meetings. I’ll keep you posted on those.

I will try and have this operate as close to a normal meeting as possible, meaning that I will do announcements (regarding Paper for Water, OrigamiUSA, Origami forum etc.) and you are all welcome to bring models to get help or show off, etc.

In the meantime, you should definitely take part in Paper for Water’s 30 day origami challenge! https://www.facebook.com/PaperForWater/

Thanks for your cooperation and patience as we sort this out.
Stay safe!
Travis
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

ADROIT,
Our next meeting will be Wednesday, May 27, 6:00 – 8:00 PM Central Time, through Zoom. Here’s the link https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88440733321?p ... pMZ2hTdz09.
The last meeting was very successful. This time, in order to make things go a tad smoother, I will set myself as host, which will allow me to mute people etc., so that we don’t have background noise.
We will be folding John Montroll’s Griffin Design. Should be a tad easier than last time.
Besides that, we will have the regular announcements and such. The biggest thing is the announcement of OrigamiUSA’s online UnConvention. I’ll give more info at the meeting, but be sure to check it out here: https://origamiusa.org/uncon2020
That’s all for now. Be sure to invite friends, these meetings are open to the public.
Travis
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Folders.

Our next meeting will be this Wednesday, July 1, 6-8 pm CDT. This meeting will, once again, be conducted through Zoom. Details and link here: https://origamiusa.org/calendar-event/a ... ding-gecko

As this will be our third Zoom meeting, we now have a much better understanding of the platform and can expect the meeting to go smoothly. The last two meetings have had a very good turnout, so it would be nice to see that again!

We will be folding a Gecko, designed by Jodi Fukumoto. https://www.giladorigami.com/P_Gecko_Fukumoto.JPG 6 to 10 inch kami or foil is recommended.
In terms of announcements, I have updates regarding the International Origami Internet Olympiad, OrigamiUSA UnConvention, and Paper for Water.

Spread the word, these meetings are open to the public! Please come with questions, show and tell, etc.

Stay safe!
Travis Nolan

https://adroitorigami.com/events
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Our July Meeting will be Thursday, July 23, 6:00-8:00 pm CDT, once again conducted through Zoom.
LINK: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84392933046?p ... E5QWRZZz09
Note that this is a slight adjustment from our regular meeting date – due to a scheduling conflict with another COG.
This meeting, Catherine O’Mary – vice president of ADROIT – will be teaching a beginner tessellation, “Dancing Squares.”
In terms of announcements, I have updates regarding Paper for Water, the Origami Forum Contest, a big upcoming origami event, and others!
As always, these meetings are open to the public, so please invite friends. Bring models to show off and ask questions. Hope to see you all there!
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Hey folders!
Just a quick note – we will be meeting for a shorter, 1-and-a-half hour meeting this Wednesday, December 23, from 5:30-7 PM (Central Time). Thank you for your patience with the inconsistency these last two meetings.

Password: 5-3-7-7-7-5
Meeting I D: 858-141-55319

Zoom link: www.adroitorigami.com/events

With the craziness that is finals season, Christmas, and COVID, we will only be meeting for one-and-a-half hours. We will resume regularly scheduled meetings in January.
We will fold Chen Xiao’s Shark, from his new book Amazing Origami, and will have time for announcements and discussion.
Bring questions, models, crazy ideas, and bored friends.
See you then!
Thanks,
Travis
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Folders,
Welcome to 2021. Our next meeting will be in eight days: Wednesday, January 27, 6-8 pm Central Time.

Link: www.adroitorigami.com/events

We will be practicing a new crease pattern, and, if we have time, a little bit more of a discussion of designing. This meeting will still be accessible to all skill levels, and is free to the public, so please come and invite others.

In addition to this portion, we will also have the standard announcement and discussion. Should be a good meeting, let’s kick off 2021 right.

Thanks.
Travis
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Folders,
Our next meeting will be Wednesday, February 24, 6-8 pm Central Time. To celebrate the year of the Ox, we will be folding a cow designed by Jun Maekawa.
Zoom info at www.adroitorigami.com/events
We will also have plenty of announcements and time for show-and-tell, model help, discussion, etc. Come with questions and friends, these meetings are open to the public!
Thanks.
Travis