Online Origami Meetings

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Bugfolder

Online Origami Meetings

Post by Bugfolder »

Hi all,

During this time of world-wide shut-in and “social-distancing,” many community origami groups have turned to virtual meetings, using videoconferencing platforms like Zoom, Google Hangouts Meet, etc. Many of those groups are also more than happy to open their meetings to anyone who would like to join in! To help facilitate this, we at OrigamiUSA have opened up our calendar of events (https://origamiusa.org/calendar) to anyone who wants to post an online meeting that is open to the wider folding community.

You don’t need to be an OrigamiUSA member to post or see a meeting; you DO need to have registered on the website to post a meeting (we do that to discourage spammers). You can post information about the meeting (date, time, what to expect), and, as you prefer, contact information for people to learn more or you can also include the direct meeting link. If you include the meeting link, it will only be shown to people who have logged in to the website—again, to protect the meeting from miscreants and the phenomenon of zoombombing.

We invite you to visit the calendar and see some of the online meetings that have already been posted, and, if you are organizing an online meeting that is open to others, post its details for others to join in. It’s a great way to both pass the shut-in time, and to remind ourselves that origami truly is a world-wide community built on sharing!

See you online,

Robert, o/b/o
Patty, Kathleen, Shrikant, Melissa, Robert, Anne, and the rest of the OrigamiUSA Community Groups and Website teams
steingar

Re: Online Origami Meetings

Post by steingar »

Robert, this is a real sore point with me (nothing to do with you). I actually contacted our local honchos. I have a professional Zoom account and have already set up a virtual meeting. I offered my services and got crickets. We're so far planning to go ahead with CenterFold, which I honestly think is daft. I will of course attend, though I will also self-quarantine for a week or two afterwards. If Ms. Me gets this she'll die. I'm really not in a hurry to be a widow. I'm not in a hurry to be dead either, though I've a penchant for perilous activities. I have to admit, I never thought they'd involve Origami.