Origami meetings

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
TheRealChris

Origami meetings

Post by TheRealChris »

Inspired by bshuval, I was wondering, how the Origami meetings are organized around the world.

We Germans are known to be well organized (maybe as good as the british *fg*), and every Origami meeting I was at, was always very well organized. There was a place for the stuff and a place for folding and so on. The people are folding everywhere. Sometimes in bigger, sometimes in smaller groups, depending on who is teaching and what is tought. The main goal of the meetings was always the folding. There are two smaller monthly meetings in my near "neighbourhood", but we're also "only" folding on them. Of course we're not sitting quietely next to each other. We're chatting about stuff, but mainly not about Origami background.

so tell me about your meetings :)

-Christian
bshuval

Post by bshuval »

After a short delay, here is my answer. I wanted to wait until after our origami meeting yesterday, to give a fuller account.

Last meeting, we had a special meeting, as we had a special guest from abroad (Ruthanne Bessman). So things were a little different. Additionally, we had a lot of new comers, and also the meetings moved to a new place (they are not held at Miri and Paul's house anymore, but at the IOC's new residence at the museum of Israeli art).

After a long round of introduction, where people also showed their latest works; we divided into groups. There were a few people teaching things. Gilad Aharoni was teaching a little-known Montroll dragon, Gil Givoni was teaching a waterbomb base pleated dancer, and the moving lips, Paul Jackson was teaching several of his new creations (including a fantastic pecking woodpecker), I taught a harlequin lid I had created, and Yehuda Peled taught his wonderful daffodil (for diagrams see http://www.origamitips.com).
Of course people moved around, and Ruthanne taught some of us the hit models of the OUSA convention (a talking fish, and a lovely brooch/decoration).
However, a lot of people also huddled and talked. Some people took pictures of the meeting. There was lots of fun. We folded, we talked. It was great.

That said, we were a very large group. Something of the order of 25 people came to the meeting. That's a lot of people. It was distinctly different than previous meetings. The meetings at Paul and Miri's house were smaller and more intimate. In these meetings we all sat next to a big table, and didn't divide into groups. Also, at the previous meetings, one of the highlights, for me, was to visit Paul and Miri's studio, and to look at their extensive book collection.