OUSA Convention 2007

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

And Sebastien: bring your Science vs. Fantasy chess set, what ever you do. Will you be setting up an exhibition? You can only get half or a quarter of a table, but it's free!
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Half a table is quite large, 2.5x3 ft. I originally had a 1/4th reserved but requested it be changed to 1/2.

So far my exhibit models include:

Snail (Intermediate)
Flying Kabutomushi (Intermediate)
Dragonfly II (High Intermediate boat, designed for use in America's Cup)
Phoenix (High Intermediate, a tribute to Akira Yoshizawa)
Mole (Complex)
Rhinoceros Beetle (Complex)
Hermit Crab (Complex)
Mating Mantids (Complex, with inspiration from Jun Maekawa's model)
Kappa (Complex)
Rooster (Complex)
Harpy (Complex)
Mongoose VS Cobra (Complex, a tribute to Neal Elias)

I have about two more in my head to design/re-fold though, and my design challenge model.
Finward

Post by Finward »

Cupcake wrote:And Sebastien: bring your Science vs. Fantasy chess set, what ever you do. Will you be setting up an exhibition? You can only get half or a quarter of a table, but it's free!
Are you really sure its free???? If so, it will be there, im sure of it :D
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Yes, it's free! I signed up for it, and I was quite surprised! I was sure that it would cost in the range of 20$, yet it cost nothing at all.

Heres some proof, from my e-mail receipt:
SUBTOTAL: $ 0.00
TOTAL: $ 0.00
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
phil

Post by phil »

I mailed my registration today. It will be my first convention. I'll be arriving Friday and leaving Teusday morinig.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Phillip West, eh? I'll keep an eye out for you. I imagine I'll be wandering around the FIT dorms and common room or to Kinokuniya on Friday. They keep large packs of single color kami among other papers, one of my favorite places to go while at the con.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

So Phillip you are going? Your exhibition is one of the ones I am going to admire the longest since I am a big admiror of your folding skills.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Free paper? Must... resist... urge... to go. 8-[
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Well, when you arrive at registration you get the "Survival Kit". Its filled with a pack of 6 inch kami, some large kami, a few pieces of japanese foil, a ton of american foil, and sometimes a few bits of odd paper such as holographic and pearlescent. If you have a little money to spend, the goldmine has some nice papers, I found some 2ft japanese foil for $2 or so a sheet, and some nepalese lokta (a rather fickle and thick paper). There is the silent auction/raffle as well, it includes alot of things, I tried to get a package of origamido papers last time. The vendors also carry some neat origami themed stuff such as, pins, t-shirts, hats, and sometimes origami vases, YODAS, etc. I bought a Yoda from Michael Sanders last time, I keep it at my library work station :).
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

But still, I have never even folded with large kami before! Same goes for american foil, large japanese foil and holographic paper. So the survival kit would be a gold mine to me! Maybe I'll have to come sooner than I thought, in a couple years or so. I probably only have as much nice paper as the survival kit has.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Finward

Post by Finward »

I have already registered my little 1/4 table. But, again with the %$&@#copyright, can I present science VS fantasy project in a chessboard that its not of my creation??? Or I have permission only showing who is the real creator???
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I'm pretty sure that models that are not your creation are acceptable. I think that some people just fold other peoples models and exhibit them (at least they do at other conventions)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

You should just note who the creator is (And yourself too). Don't worry about copyright/permission unless you plan on selling them. Permission to fold is implicit in making diagrams/CPs available in the first place.
Won Park

hello newbie to this forum.

Post by Won Park »

Hello, I just wanted to say that I'll be attending OUSA 2007 and it would be nice to meet some new people from this forum there. My name is Won Park and I specialize in folding money. If your interested in folding money I'd like to meet you in New York. I will have my own exhibit and I will also teach a couple of classes.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Hi Won, nice to meet you. I've seen your work the past few years through convention photos, etc. Pretty cool stuff, I especially like your use of the patterns on the dollar bill. I've not been much into bill folding, but regret it when I need to tip someone. Montroll's Piggy Bank model is one of my favorites.