OUSA Convention 2007

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Joe the white

OUSA Convention 2007

Post by Joe the white »

The con looms ever closer, now merely a month or so away... This is somewhat of a roll call, who here is coming? It would be nice to meet up with some fellow forum-goers =p.

So far for myself, I am coming and I'll be staying (hopefully) at the FIT dorms. I haven't registered for classes, but I might on site; moreso for Monday's or complex Sat/Sun ones. I'll be there from Thurs morning-Tues morning most likely (Might see me in the common room). At the con I'll be lurking around at the sales, exhibit, and hospitality room (usually at the "complex folder/designer table"). You can find me by my name tag "Joseph White" =p.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I'm not actually coming, I have school to go to... However, a couple of my folds will be there :D I've got half a table under my name, you'll probably recognize my designs, or maybe the little cupcake in the bottom corner of the design label-things will give it away.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Thats too bad, but you're only 14, so you have plenty of time ;p. I'll keep an eye out, I assume you made them from tissue foil? I only reserved 1/4 of a table, I probably should have reserved 1/2. I have six or so of what I consider my best models refolded from my duo mulberry paper , but I have a few more I'm considering... At least I could have reference models for teaching informally.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Yep, all from tissue foil except one :D I agree, I have a lot of time to practice. Sadly, my latest insects won't be in the display :(

I hope somebody takes lots of pictures of the convention...
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Why not, you could always send another box, right? You should send them if you can, young designers are always of intrest at the conventions, and I think they're some of your best work =p.

Michael (from http://havepaperwilltravel.blogspot.com ) always takes quite a few photos ( http://new.photos.yahoo.com/fisherknight2003/albums ). If I get a new memory stick, I'll take some too, but I'm a notoriously bad photographer.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Maybe I will... But it don't really know. I already sent my other things, so I would cost me extra.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

Can you send your folded models to the OUSA Convention? Even if you'r physically not present there? If it is so. How do you do that?
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Is it worth a few dollars for hundreds of people to view your models ;p ? Are you ready and confident of your abilities to display those models? Those are questions you should ask yourself. I made the mistake of bringing an exhibition with me my first time, and it looked rather poor compared to the pro's, however it gave me the drive to learn and do better next time. If you've already sent them, I suggest going ahead with sending your new models regardless.

Yes iAm4free, you can. Read the notes from this page: http://www.origami-usa.org/convention/a ... ition.html

(copy and paste the whole link, or click on "Exhibiting your models")

You must however, be a member to exhibit.

I was looking through some 2004 convention photos and found myself in one ;p.
Original photographer is Ravi Apte.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Ahem! You don't have to be a member to exhibit! You only have to be a member to go. However, you have to send your models to someone and they take your models to the convention. But no, you don't have to a member.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Its possible I made a mistake there, but thats what I understood from the website information. It does state that anyone can exhibit on the main convention description page, but its not stated if that means anyone at all, or any member. I'd encourage joining OUSA at any rate. Glad you chose to send off your models, Cupcake :).
Last edited by Joe the white on May 23rd, 2007, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Joe the white wrote:It does state that anyone can exhibit on the main convention description page, but its not stated if that means anyone at all, or any member. I'd encourage joining OUSA at any rate.
But still, if you can't join at that moment, it's better to just send the models to a caretaker and have them taken to the convention.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

I will most likely be going on one day, either saturday or sunday, because I have school. I am looking forward to being there because it will be my first convention (I am only 16)! Also any advice would be nice because I am a noob at folding with other people (I have never folding with another person or even met a person with my same skill level). :D
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I have been one such caretaker Cupcake, to Jason Ku's models in 2004 ;p.

Matt, as I told a fellow attending origamist on DeviantArt, there are alot of parts and experiences to the convention not normally mentioned by OUSA on its website. I suggest trying to match names to faces on Joseph Wu's Origami Luminaries Gallery (
http://www.origami.as/gallery.php?gallery=2 ). That will help you notice some of the more famous attendees. If you are staying all day, you should get to meet quite a few people.

What is your skill level? (I assume super complex). Usually Daniel Robinson's table (Called so as he is usually our "leader" =p) features some of the more supercomplex folders/young designers, but there are some other complex groups as well, one in particular had some teenage folders working on Kamiya's Mammoth CP. There is also the possibility of going out for lunch with your group, etc.

For a description of these tables, clique would be too harsh a word, as they are often friendly and glad to add a new member (though with many its hard to pick a restaurant for a group meal!). When I first entered the hospitality room I was overcome with all the people, and shyed away to an empty table to fold Lang's mantis from my newly purchased OI2. Dan happened by and invited me to his table, simple as that.

Since you're only going to be around one day, I suggest you explore alot as well. The Source, Vendors, Goldmine, and Exhibit are always worth a few looks. There you can find some obscure bits of paper, books, and origami related products. There is a traditional Air Plane competition as well, Sunday I believe. Late Night folding in the FIT common rooms is also interesting, many show up at 12 following the closing of the hospitality room, it can get rather crowded.
Finward

Post by Finward »

Im going to NY!!!! :D :D :D
My first and perhaps my last convention in many years (expensive plane, expensive hotel, expensive convention :( )...
So, as i will not repeat it in many years, how you suggest me to make good use of it???
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Here is a description from Mark Kennedy posted to the OUSA list last night to add to my above comments.

"There is folding round the clock. It is as normal as breathing at the convention. There are the formal classes and the informal classes. If you miss a formal class there are very good odd that somebody will be teaching it informally in the great room. Teaching something that you just learn helps reinforce your learning and adds to the general sharing.

Late night folders get more press since sleeping is also a normal function. The late night folders tend to be into the more complex and esoteric models.

The Great Room, main room or con suite has lots of tables. There are small groups around tables or groups of tables folding all sorts of stuff. You name the type of origami - and some body is doing it - with the possible exception of large models and that is only due to lack of space to spread out with all of the people. there are easy, simple, intermediate, complex, super complex and OH MY God complex. then there are the modular people, the toy and action model people, tissue foil animals, bugs, creatures.

then there are the folders who stayed up all night folding who have dragged themselves into the main room so as not to miss anything but who are too tired to fold until they get their second wind after mid-night.

Mid-night is the witching hour since we are kicked out of the main room then and they close the building for the night. I never can remember when they open up in the morning for registrations. But everyone who gets there that early - almost everyone - is folding every chance they get. I am getting older and like to sleep as long as possible.

Generally there have been large stick signs for everybody: I want to Learn: ****
I want to Teach: ****

There are opportunities all of the time, you just can't be shy, look around and ask

Shop early and often at the Source since they have limited stock and something's arrive via different sources so they show up unexpectedly and sometimes in very limited quantities.

There is generally a silent auctions of rare or unusual items.

Somebody wants wants to do a service - a convention pro - might like to post a first timers guide to what to expect.

-Mark Kennedy"

Since this may be your last convention for awhile, I suggest enjoying the comradery in the Hospitality room as much as possible, meet some of the authors/designers, and take what classes you like, but don't overload on them. It might seem overwhelming at first with all the goings-on, but you can have alot of fun. If they follow-up with a first timer guide, I'll post it here.