OUSA Convention 2007

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I've seen your work before, it was quite good :D I admire billfolds, because I can't really do them
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
EricGjerde

OUSA 2007

Post by EricGjerde »

Hello! I'll be going to the convention this year, for the second time. Last year was wonderful, and I can't imagine missing such a fun event for anything, so this year we're going for even longer.

I mostly fold tessellations, and I will be teaching two classes- one focusing on tessellation folding basics, and another one teaching a complicated little pleated structure and how to turn it into a large tessellation pattern.

I've heard from a number of other folks who fold tessellations and other sorts of related geometrical structures, and many of them are planning on attending the convention this year. So I expect to see a decent crowd of people folding this sort of thing as well- besides all you guys folding insects, of course :)

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Brian Chan and Sipho Mabona again- my two favorite bug folders! We're hoping that Sipho will win the paper airplane contest, since he's only about a second away from beating the world record...
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Be sure to take pictures for the flickr group :D
I didn't know Sipho would be there...
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Sounds pretty cool Eric. I've not gotten much into tesselations, geometric, or modular folding out of the main groups of origami. Lang's Pond Turtle Shell and Koi Scale patterns weren't too enjoyable to fold with all the reference marks and high division pleats, but I do like Fujimoto's hydrangea.

The origami model contests/races are something I find intriguing. Besides the airplane contest, there has also been "America's Cup" which is an origami boat race, but it was held at SEOF (which has been canceled untill further notice I believe, last held in 2002). If they'd have a ground race competition at PCOC, then they'd have all the bases covered. I've made a few working origami boats, but I have yet to make a decent plane. I think I'm trying too hard for looks over function...

I'm sure you'll see me around somewhere.
Finward

Post by Finward »

Sounds great that Brian chan, Sipho Mabona and Eric Gjerde would be at the convention!!!
And another question
Monday dinner night is gala night???
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I am going this year for the first time; I am really just getting into the origami community. I am really excited about it and I'm sure it'll be a blast. And won park...I have a fair bit of dollar bill folds myself; I have a small gallery on flickr, the link is in my sig.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

The tentative class schedules are up now!
http://www.origami-usa.org/convention/agora.cgi

Alot of tough choices...

I think I'll take Kamiya's Bear or Robert's Pteranodon and Robert's fish class (if they're not filled) on Saturday (hopefully some of these are in the annual...). Sunday I'll probably take Bernie Peyton's Kit fox and Marc's Penguin (if its not a second part) or Jason Ku's class. Monday its a really hard choice... Making of mitsubishi by Robert, then either the lecture on Yoshizawa's studies or Robert's designing with box-pleating and pythagorean stretches.

I'll probably be taking pictures, and I'll write a detailed report if I can.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Aww, no one is teaching my cat :(

KAMIYA's Bear and Jason Ku's... models... sound interesting
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Don't lose hope:

"Remember ... this is tentative, and this year VERY tentative. We have lots of classes for which we got information late, and they will be added, plus some classes will be moved. So use it as a guide, but don't make firm decisions quite yet ;-)"

-Jan Polish
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Well guys, I'm heading out tomorrow night and I'll be there Thursday at 9 a.m.-ish. I've packed a digi-cam with space for 900+ pictures and about 24 AA batteries. I'm taking a notebook to keep track of the goings on, so hopefully I will remember to use it. I'll be trying to make my way to the OUSA HQ as well. I'm endeavoring to make the most comprehensive report yet =p. If any of you want to hang out or something, I'll probably be nearby FIT or in the common room of the dorms.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Be sure to post some of your best pictures here once you get back! :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
saj

Post by saj »

Yes, plenty of photos please! Would be great to see some photos from (and of) fellow forum folders :D

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
EricGjerde

tentative class schedule

Post by EricGjerde »

The class schedule is *quite* tentative, there are many gaps in there. I was not able to talk to the folks from OUSA when they called last week, so neither of my classes are listed on the tentative schedule. It would be nice to know when they are, but I guess it's not a huge deal- you should really decide on what you're going to take when you're there and when you can see the models first hand!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Joe, you should go and buy two sets of rechargeable accus as well as a charger, so you can always use one set while the other one is loading and accus don´t need to be changed that often like usual batteries.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 19th, 2007, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Joe, rather than taking 900 low-quality pictures, up the quality a bit so you can take up to 400 or something. (Are you really gonna need that many pictures??) This should help make the pictures come out better.

Have a good time, and hopefully I'll be able to make it next year...