OUSA Convention 2007

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I don't expect to be taking 900, more likely 300 or so (its a 1 gig card, better to have more space than less). I want to get some pictures of FIT and people at the con along with the exhibition, and some of the places around town that make for good shopping/meals. Surely I'll be marked for a tourist ;p. I'll be leaving in about 12 hours or so for my flight. I really should get into using rechargable batteries, or get a new camera with a power cell. The chances of that are slim though, knowing me ;).

Yes, hopefully I can come again next year too, then we'll finally meet lol.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I´m waiting for your pictures :D

Maybe one day I will attend an OUSA convention too, but not at the moment.

About the accus: It´s really amazing how long they last in comparison to "normal" batteries, they are really worth their money. As long as I used batteries I had to change them every few photos, but the accus held through the whole convention and longer without recharging!
Last edited by origami_8 on August 19th, 2007, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Well, looks like the convention is over... I certainly hope that there are pictures of my models out there somewhere!
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

Ok, Joseph Wu really needs to diagram the two dinosaurs. That stegasaurus is one of the best I've ever seen! Thanks for the links. I told my wife that I will one day make it to the convention, so its nice to at least see pictures of models there.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I'm not sure, but I believe that, looking at Joseph Wu's previous models, that stegosaurus is a multi-piece model. I also think that the other dinosaur is a multi-piece as well.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Yea, Joseph doesn't seem to diagram anything at all. I remember at the Origami House, he had this awesome dragon there. It stood upright had had pleated plating on it's chest and belly. But I can't find a pic anywhere on the net... And it was probably multi-pieced too, just like his wyrm, but that doesn't keep anybody from wanting to fold it!!

Thanks for the pics. Now I REALLY have to go to the convention someday... I didn't know there were so many displays!
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Well, Cupcake, seems you can't hide your real name any more :-P
Nice display :-)

Some more convention pictures can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9210197@N02/

I think this lion is amazing. Anyone knows whose model it is?
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Thanks, although I'm not all to proud of it... I didn't exactly pack everything well enough.

The lion is by KAMIYA Satoshi. Don't ask how I know, it's just that it was by his angelfish and ryujin
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I just got back last night, it was a fun week. The lion is indeed Satoshi's, he said there would be diagrams soon I think, and for the bird too. He had a binder of his crease patterns and a mac laptop with pictures of his creations and other crease patterns. He has many more good creations besides what he posts on his site. I've got about 270 photos of the con, but I can't seen to get them to load to my computer.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Wow this was my first convention and it was AMAZING...
I have heard good things about it but it was still so much different than I expected (in a good way :P). I had no idea that something like sitting across from John Montroll in late night folding (which I did) would ever happen.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

>>>>>>>>> He has many more good creations besides what he posts on his site. :)
JeossMayhem wrote:Yea, Joseph doesn't seem to diagram anything at all. I remember at the Origami House, he had this awesome dragon there. It stood upright had had pleated plating
I fold wu scale dragin it is good it have one stripe with scale.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

First of all, thats Joe's Grand Dragon, from five sheets of paper.
And he does have a few diagrams, like his eastern dragon, one-fold stegosaurus, Bride and Groom, and a couple more.

Rockmanex, I'm pretty sure that you folded his Eastern Dragon
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
triscuit

Favorites

Post by triscuit »

This is my first post here (I've lurked for a while) and my first convention. I had a great time, but next year I'll have to register for classes--some of them looked great! I thought Kamiya's bird was excellent...hopefully he'll diagram it, although I'm not counting on it. I also really liked Seth Friedman's hawks and mockingbird.