BOS Convention - Cambridge, UK - 6th to 9th of sept 2007

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

We've just come back from Cambridge, where we had a great time meeting lots of you :-)

Pictures are available on the Origami Austria homepage.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
saj

Post by saj »

Thanks Gerwin. I'm gutted I couldn't make it in the end :cry: I think I spotted the usual suspects: Alex J, Dennis Walker, Mark Leonard, Vignesh, Anine and Anna! No John McKeever?

So tell us more - did you learn anything exiting from any informal sessions? How was the convention pack?
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Oh, John has been there, you can see him in the back of this picture here. He showed us how to do the flower in a pot by Herman Lau again, to refreshen our memories :-)

About the convention pack, there are quite a few very nice models in there. I personally favour the "Flying Skunk" by Ask Malik which actually is a working paper plane! I'll post a picture of it as soon as I folded a nice enough version.

Unfortunately there wasn't really that much room for informal folding sessions, but Herman van Goubergen, who's a very nice guy btw, showed us how to do his swimming ducks and his lion (to be seen on this picture).
What you can't see on the picture is that the ducks are actually moving when you pull the sides of the water, it's really an amazingly cute and astonishing model.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
saj

Post by saj »

Thanks Gerwin, I'll be ordering the BOS convention pack anyway. Just noticed that the bat you taught me and Alex at the Leicester convention is in the Origami Austria website :D

Are Hermans duckies on the water diagrammed in the convention book? Seems like a great model!

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Anine

Post by Anine »

I wonder why I'm standing up in the workshop on your picture :? hmm...
Informal folding.. on sunday after the convention and workshops had ended I was taught Edwin Corrie's rabbit by Michael Trew who had been taught earlier by Edwin himself. I was also taught the model in the right corner here http://www.origamiaustria.at/bos2007.php?lang=2&pic=86 by Assia herself. Oh and at the informal folding in the bar on thursday, I was taught a modular cube thingy (4 cubes connected to eachother) by David Petty. It's very challenging to assemble and I was told that because of that same reason it hasn't been diagrammed yet, so that's my new project, to understand the assembly so well that I can diagram it once (please don't take that challenge away from me :)

Anine
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

I managed to pop along for a couple of days. Jolly nice to meet Daydreamer and Origami-8 (she made the mistake of asking me to teach her my wasp design).

Nice to attend a convention with Joisel, Lang and Satoshi all present, as well as the regulars such as Brill and Fuse.

I had a chat about embryology with Eric Joisel, who found everything I said hilarious, for reasons I'm not entirely sure about (I tried to convince him that the formation of the human ear was essentially six unit modular origami).

I had a chat with Robert Lang about his book and ideas, and also about the NHS in England.

And I had a rather one-way conversation with Kamiya Satoshi. I'm not sure if he didn't understand a word that I said, or whether his is just rather shy. Great folder, though.

I also nipped out to a kebab shop in Cambridge that I frequented when I was a student there. Yup, it still existed. My giant pastrouma kebab gave me heartburn for the rest of the day. It brought back lots of lovely memories, but was ill advised without having several beers first.

Anyway, spiffing time, and lovely to meet some of the forum regulars.

Fishy aka Stephen O'Hanlon
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Yea, I got the impression Kamiya was really shy when I met him. But I'm sure it's worse with the language barrier.

Your bit about Joisel is funny but also no suprise. I mean, just look at him!
http://www.origami.as/Gallery/People2/joisel.jpg (off of Joseph Wu's site)
artur biernacki
Forum Sensei

Post by artur biernacki »

I look form pictures with CP kamiya's, have this someone?
Artur
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Joisel's a funny guy... He certainly doesn't seem his age from the energetic things he types on the forum (I don't mean that in a bad way). However, I didn't get to meet him this year when in France.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

yes not that one I folds pegasus, but Josel lord of the ring cp :)
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

The pegasus is intriguing. The CP looks to be the same as the not-so-impressive one (great wings and hind leg design, but the front could use some work) he published in Tanteidan 6/Works of Satoshi Kamiya, just with some big border grafts. And I'd like to see a better picture of his crane.