Origami Forum Design Group

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Sadarac

Over nine thousand

Post by Sadarac »

OUR MEMBERS MUST REACH OVER NINE THOUsEAND!!!!. lol.

the more people we can get in on this the better. and we will need an exact battle plan. any ideas?
Origami forums design group viewtopic.php?p=49612#49612
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
mike352

Post by mike352 »

I think it is better to first have a plan, and then to start recruiting.
petr-stuchly

Post by petr-stuchly »

Mike^^ has the point.
what can i say? look at my fickr.com gallery and read about my greatest creatures... email me if you want. i answer it
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

yeah thats true. What shall our plan be??
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
petr-stuchly

plan???

Post by petr-stuchly »

well. i think:
we need to make ourselves sure what what is our point.
we have to be active!
we need new blood!
and be optimistic! it is impossible to be only three guys on this planet with similar idea! :-)
what can i say? look at my fickr.com gallery and read about my greatest creatures... email me if you want. i answer it
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

I would love to join!! It sounds like a good idea, and looks fun :). If you guys would let me, count me in :).

EDIT: I like to design origami, though most of my designs don't appear on my flickr. I think that collaborating with others who enjoy designing is great!
petr-stuchly

insaneorigami!

Post by petr-stuchly »

oh, great! welcome! we won't bite ya! :lol:
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

I won't bite. (i can't say anything for the vampires in my house :)

I like that plan a lot.:)

How bout we start with it by writing up a mission statement?
Something precise that gets straight to the point:)

Or should we rob the blood banks first? (just kidding:p)
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Ok - that's it - we'll design a vampire.

I think there's been too much talking and no ideas. Here's an idea, so now let's start thinking about how to design it.
petr-stuchly

so a vampire :-)

Post by petr-stuchly »

so a vampire... :-) why not after all? this will be interesting. i think a diagonal symetry would be better. what do you think guys? wings from corners, head from corner, tail from corner and hands and legs from edges. and i have some precisious black tissue paper so i am totally making my one :-)
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

A tip for you guys: before you decide on symmetry, design method, or flap arrangement, first ask yourselves what you envision the final piece looking like. Do you want it to have wings or a cape? Do you want it to have a long robe? What kind of facial detail do you want? How big should the fangs be (if they are included)? Do you want fingers, color changes, overlapping layers of fabric on the clothes, sleeves, or other details? Those will all affect how you go about designing the model-just some things to think about.
petr-stuchly

subject

Post by petr-stuchly »

Jon has the point guys :-)
he is absolutely right ;-)
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

As usual, Jon is correct. And, having seen the vampire on his flickr, I completely and totally respect any opinion that he has regarding folding said creature. I feel that a vampire is best represented with a cape (though some, like Jon's, look superb with wings). Since there would be no wings in my idea, diagonal symmetry is not needed to produce large wing flaps. Too much facial detail can also become bulky. Trying to put 8 different flaps into one small, concentrated area, can produce too many excess layers. If the model were to have fangs, however, I would thing that one small rectangular flap would be adequate (you could bring the ends points of the rectangle together to form the fangs).
Since most vampires are symmetrical, I would say that a symmetrical design would be best :).

These are merely my own personal opinions - feel free to disagree :).
petr-stuchly

Post by petr-stuchly »

great idea for the fangs! i took the inspiration from Jon actually. his vampire with wings looks awesome! :-) (great design, Jon!) wings are definitely better for a Barlog or a demon thingy, vampire has a cape. ;-)
with the wings on it, i had a pretty clear idea (Jon's CP) but as long as this is a design group, making another winged and diagonaly symetrical vampire would be too much of copying :-D
so any ideas how to do the cape? will the cape be the inner area of the starting square or will it be the head? i think both ways should work, but what is better in your eyes? should we concentrate on simplicity and "straightforwardness" or on effectivity?
have hints and ideas? tell it out! :-)
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Thank you guys-I am glad I could get you thinking about it more critically. Insane probably has the right idea with book symmetry, if not because large wings aren't necessary, then because it would be easier to make a cape. Pleat one edge of the paper and voila, you have a cape flap.