Upcoming and past Conventions

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Alexorigami

Re: Upcoming and past Conventions

Post by Alexorigami »

OK, I'm coming to BOS spring convention :D ! But I can't seem to find any information about this on their site, except for: "Forthcoming conventions

12-15 April 2012, Birmingham
7-9 September 2012, Liverpool Hope University"

How do I get a place in there?!
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

any conventions upcoming in australia?
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

BOS. I am not a member and I don't really want to be but those dates look conventional. (nyuck nyuck) The fact that you don't know how to get a place, isn't. It probably means you have to pay however much it is for a membership, then pay even more to get in.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
fi-ori

Post by fi-ori »

30th C.D.O. Convention
Vicenza (Italy), November 1st - 4th, 2012

Special guests:
Jeremy Shafer - USA
Jozsef Zsebe - Hungary
Tom Hull - USA

we will put every information, as soon as it is available, here:
http://www.origami-cdo.it/cdo/convegno/conv12en.htm

reservations will begin at the beginning of May
"There's a fold in everything..."
www.flickr.com/photos/mancinerie
origamiguy

Post by origamiguy »

So who all is coming to Origami USA convention in NYC from June 22-25?
Cheers,
Brian K. Webb
http://www.eorigamipublishing.com
shortloldude

Post by shortloldude »

I am hoping to go to OUSA this year, it would be my first time I am able to go.
Please, add me on flickr and tell me what you think!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53465278@N02/
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

I've never been to a convention before, what happens and what do you do?
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

It's fairly underwhelming if you aren't 12 or an old woman :-/
malachi

Post by malachi »

FrumiousBandersnatch wrote:It's fairly underwhelming if you aren't 12 or an old woman :-/
I have to disagree with this generalization, even though I am not totally clear on the meaning*. While there are some demographic idiosyncrasies in the population of origami convention attendees, I certainly found plenty of items of interest when I attended Centerfold last year as a 30-something male.

I taught several models, both formally and informally, I learned a several models, both formally and informally, I learn some techniques, and I met several interesting people.

Basically an origami convention creates a large concentration of people interested in origami and they will discuss and exchange information about that common interest: models, paper, tools, techniques, etc.

Conventions will vary, but I would expect these aspects to remain consistent.

* I believe the implication is supposed to be that there is nothing to be learned from interacting with older women and that only a 12 year old might be novice enough to gain something from attending? This doesn't make any sense at all to me. This may be an issue of expectation management.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

If you find one person with whom you get good origami vibes, you've had a good con I would say. In a big con, chances are you'll find more than one out of a hundred with whom you share interests or who are interested in what you do. Cons in general are also 'people things' - if you're more comfortable in your own shell, that's fine but not necessarily a value call... I enjoy folding as a lonesome activity, being quite at ease with me and myself, but did find it worth attending when I did...
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

I'm referring to the OUSA convention in NYC. It seemed to hold very little for anyone who was at a stage where they were folding more complex models, or attempting to learn any advanced techniques. The two exceptions being a class for Jason Ku's Nazgul, and a CP class with Robert Lang, which was excellent. For my personal tastes, it was a rather large sum of money to travel to and attend a convention where most of the actual convention content was for A: beginning folders, i.e. 12 year olds, or B: elderly women for whom origami is akin to knitting.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

One con I expect to be really different from the experience you describe in NYC is the LUO, held annually in Lyon - I've not been there yet, but very much look forward to it this year.
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

It can be expensive if travel and lodging are required, but i would disagree that there is not enough content. It takes some thought to get the most out of it, and some pre-work goes a long way to getting the most out of it. If you are there just to learn super complex models in a classroom setting you might not be in luck. If you are there to meet Robert Lang or Jason Ku or Brian Chan and ask them about their approach to super complex design you are in luck.

For me the most valuable "Content" was not the classes, but it was spending some time with real masters to help critique my own models and diagrams. Where else will you be in a room with that many published authors with that level of talent and experience many of whom are ready and willing to share their time and knowledge. Last year Robert Lang, John Montroll, Peter Engel, Brian Chan, Jason Ku, Bernie Peyton, Toshikazu Kawasaki, Sok Song and more were in attendance.

Some other things of interest
- classes for previously un-diagrammed models, Jason was teaching the nazgul from the draft diagrams months before it was eventually published
- access to buy premium paper that is not generally available. Ogami and Orgamido
- The exhibition will have models you have only seen on the internet live and in person

FrumiousBandersnatch wrote:I'm referring to the OUSA convention in NYC. For my personal tastes, it was a rather large sum of money to travel to and attend a convention where most of the actual convention content was for A: beginning folders, i.e. 12 year olds, or B: elderly women for whom origami is akin to knitting.
malachi

Post by malachi »

FrumiousBandersnatch wrote:For my personal tastes, it was a rather large sum of money to travel to and attend a convention where most of the actual convention content was for A: beginning folders, i.e. 12 year olds, or B: elderly women for whom origami is akin to knitting.
Okay, indulge me in some deconstruction of these ideas. First of all, based on the model menu pictures I have seen, there would appear to be formal content at OUSA to occupy folders ranging from total beginner to intermediate or high intermediate level.

Second of all, you have some weird assumptions about beginners being young and/or young folders being beginners. I have met some very capable younger folders who were more avid than the average folder about complex models. I also know many adult folders who would be considered beginner or intermediate in level.

Thirdly, not everyone is actually interested in complex models. As you point out, there is a demographic that uses origami like knitting, but there is nothing wrong with that. There are also people who are passionate about modular models or action models to the exclusion of other types, and there is nothing wrong with that either. Everyone has different preferences.

Fourthly, and probably most importantly, after years of going to conventions in both my personal life and my professional life, I have learned that while the official structured content of a convention has some utility, the heart of a convention lies in the people who attend. Informally sharing and making personal connections tends to be more valuable than just sitting in a classroom or auditorium and being told something.

Perhaps if your original comment had been, "the OUSA convention does not have a lot of scheduled classes for complex models, so it may not be of much interest to someone who is only interested in learning complex models, such as myself." it wouldn't have raised my hackles.
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Malachi. Ever since the days of Livejournal, you have been nothing but a serial contrarian. I know you get off on this, but let's just ignore that for now and pretend like you are arguing for some other reason. Firstly, I will say that when someone posts, they are in fact expressing their opinion. You are not obligated to agree with it. My opinion is based on my experience.

Secondly, you are indeed correct that the model menu contains many beginner and intermediate models. I would not say there were many high intermediate or complex models at all.

Thirdly, of course not all beginners are 12, and not all 12 year olds are beginners. The majority of them are, however. That is not assumption. That is fact. These are generalizations. You cannot state an exception to a generalization as if it negates the statement.

Fourthly, Everyone does have different preferences. Mine are not for beginner or intermediate models. As I stated. I'm simply trying to "manage people's expectations".

Fifthly, I found that unless you already knew people or had an established group you went with, the vast majority of folks were, although willing to have passing conversations, were NOT willing to let you get involved in what is a very secular, clique-centric environment. So yes, if you're very outgoing, then great, have at it. If you are introverted, as I imagine most folders are, the social aspect is just...not there.

Sixthly, I did not come here to argue about you about what did or did not happen at a convention that you did not even attend. I came express my feelings on the entire thing. Stop trolling. Get on with your day.