Any advice in starting an origami club?

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Draco

Any advice in starting an origami club?

Post by Draco »

Hi guys. I'm planning to start an origami club at my high school. I see a lot of potential in this idea but i may need a little bit of advice. Some of the activities I'm planning to do are:

1.Teach people how to fold basic to moderate models(possibly complex if i get strong folders)
2. Make paper and experiment with folding techniques
3. Teach people how to work with crease patterns
4. spread the knowledge of origami by having my club visit a middle school and teach children how to fold
5. potentially get people to start designing
6. use origami to help the school decorate for events / holidays

However...starting a club is completely new to me... can you guys give me a heads up on what to expect or share experiences of your own club. Teaching techniques or additional ideas for activities would also be helpful. I know from my experiences in origami in making can get quite frustrating. So i want to create this club to allow people to see past intimidating folds and see the grace and pleasure of origami.
though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light, for i have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night
HankSimon
Buddha

Re: Any advice in starting an origami club?

Post by HankSimon »

It's a lot of work, requiring organization, salesmanship, and a friend or two to help. Depending on your school, you may need a faculty sponsor.

1. Consider 3 levels - introductory (What is a fold?), Beginner (How to fold the flapping bird), Advanced (How to fold the different bases and CPs) [My categories are unrelated to Origami experience] Focus on introductory, but have the other two ready in your back pocket, just in case you have quick learners.
2. Meetings should only last one hour, but you can have additional folding sessions of any length.
3. Set a regular schedule for the meetings - once a week, every two weeks, or once a month. Create a repeatable agenda: Show some advanced models, show an attainable model, and shoot for a simple model that can be completed in the meeting. Prepare about 5 minutes of concrete info about Origami.
4. Designing and Making paper are fairly advanced.
5. It's too late for Mother's Day Origami, but you can show some appropriate models... But the Holiday idea as a defined goal is a good target to shoot for....
6. You'll have to remind everyone, organize the meetings, and keep things motivated for the first couple of months...

Good Luck,
Hank Simon
Draco

Re: Any advice in starting an origami club?

Post by Draco »

Thanks for the tips. I can already tell this will be a challenge :) . I found a lot of people who want to learn but only one of them has decent experience. As for a sponsor i still need to look for one, but i'm sure finding someone else thats responsible, trustworthy, and experienced will be even more difficult...
though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light, for i have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night