Help with organising Origami Classes

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Scotsdreamer

Help with organising Origami Classes

Post by Scotsdreamer »

Not sure if this is in the right forum section.

I do a lot of simple origami when I am out and about, as it beats my old "Fat Penguins!" comment (they are both ice-breakers)

However a lot of people on seeing my finished articles have said I should teach classes.

The thing is I am not sure how to go about this. Do any users here have experience hosting this sort of thing?

My questions are:
  • Free or Paying?
  • Course Length
  • Topics
  • # hours per day
  • audience appropriate models
I was thinking of kids to begin with and a different on later for adults.

Topics:
  • The Folds & Bases
  • The Bird Base - Frog, Flapping Bird, Traditional Crane & Traditional Flower
  • Boxes
  • Modular Origami
  • ???
I would love as much info, pointers and help that anyone would be willing to spare.

Thanks

Colin
oz

Re: Help with organising Origami Classes

Post by oz »

I've found that an impromptu teaching style is more effective, not holding classes with hours and fees, but just showing someone something simple whenever they're curious. For example, I've shown how to fold the crane to people who want to learn, and when they master that, I usually ask if they want to keep learning. Some do, some don't. I showed someone how to fold LaFosse's dollar bill butterfly while we were waiting for something at work last night. (I have a feeling that some butterflies might show up at the snack bar in the future.)

To be fair, this doesn't answer your question, but the few times I've tried to sit down with someone on a regular basis and systematically show them progressive models to further their skills, they've wound up getting bored or disinterested. Impromptu instruction is interesting.
Scotsdreamer

Re: Help with organising Origami Classes

Post by Scotsdreamer »

Thanks Oz,

i normally do some impromptu training starting with the trad crane or the trad flower, though last night at a bbq I did a basic Elias Stretch man and Perry Baileys Squirrel.

The mother of the girl sitting opposite thought it would be a good idea over the holidays. Obviously both of these are a little complex to teach a beginner.

I do a lot of money origami in bars especially when it comes to 5.80€ (something with quite a few coins)

Was thinking if charging for a structured session, it would have to cover the cost of the paper and room (the local Mayors office can help with that)

Again thanks for the reply

Colin