TissueFoil.com

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
Offerd15

TissueFoil.com

Post by Offerd15 »

We have a new website that is selling tissue foil origami paper, http://www.tissuefoil.com. We only offer 3" size paper for now, but will be adding different color combinations and sizes every month. Our future plans include a custom color option and a DIY section. Come check out the high quality, double sided, tissue foil paper at http://www.tissuefoil.com. Prices are cheaper than Washi paper and shipping is $3.99 regardless of order size.
anonymous person

Re: TissueFoil.com

Post by anonymous person »

Hi, I would like to ask a few questions.

1.do you use spray glue or white glue or cmc?
2.do you treat the tissue so it is opaque?
3.do you use bleeding tissue or not?
4.will you consider making tissue foil with different handmade papers such as lokta, unryu, saa, hanji etc?

thank you.
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

Hello,

1. We use a spray glue.
2. The tissue paper is not treated. The paper is very thin and the aluminum foil adds a metallic look. (The pictures used are actual scans of the paper)
3. The tissue paper is very high quality and does not bleed at all.
4. We currently do not have a manufacturer of handmade paper that is thin enough to use in this application. Our future plans do include different types of paper and we will be adding new products monthly.

Thank you for your interest.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i'm intrigued. interested in seeing some larger (much larger) squares.
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

bethnor,

We have been working on some surveys to get an idea of what sizes people would like. We are targeting the smaller squares but will absolutely have some unusually large squares to separate us from any competition. What size(s) would you be interested. As we get an idea of what sizes sell best, we can carry a bigger selection for some very competitive prices.

Thanks for your interest.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

well, you could try asking around a bit. i'm not sure how many people really visit these subforums. but the bottom line is that tissue-foil's main use is for complex models. there's really no reason to use tissue foil for small, simple models. at a minimum, i think you should have 18 cm and 25 cm squares. there is no need to separate yourself from the competition because there is none. your main competition is that ppl can always make tissue foil themselves, but i do think there is probably a market (understanding that origami markets are always going to be small) for those of us who don't feel like going through the hassle of making tissue foil, not to mention cutting a decent square.

another way you could get publicity is to talk to some prominent designers/folders and offer to give them a few test sheets, which they could fold something from and then display on flickr or elsewhere. they could then recommend your services to people who are interested in using tissue foil but don't feel like going through the hassle. for instance, jason ku posts under origamimagiro, and if you give him a few sheets, they can post a review under the fold (OUSA's electronic newsletter).
SenorTortuga

Post by SenorTortuga »

I think this is a cool idea, and I definitely think there will be some demand for your paper if you can make it in larger sizes. I personally am not interested in 3" squares, but if you had some that were much larger, say 16-20", I might be interested. Have you considered also making and selling double-tissue paper made with MC? Double-tissue is often recommended on these forums for large, complex models like Kamiya's Ancient Dragon and for insect models with a lot of small details. I think there are a decent number of folders out there who either don't have the space or patience/interest in making and cutting their own tissue foil or double-tissue paper, so if you can make it well and sell it at a decent price there could very well be a good market for it.
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

bethnor,

We started out with smaller squares since they have a unique look that some may like for modular origami. 18cm and 25cm are next on our list of sizes but we don't have any comparison for prices. Such large squares require high precision to eliminate wrinkles and imperfections. Maybe you, as well as anyone else,could give us your opinion about how many sheets you would like in a set and a price range.

As far as sending out test sheets, we have considered this. As soon as we figure out our base products that are going to sell best, we will be contacting various websites and blogs to get reviews and perhaps some folded models.

Thanks for all your helpful feedback!
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

SenorTortuga,

I'm almost certain we will be carrying larger sizes on our website. As I mentioned to bethnor, we really don't have anything to compare our prices to for such large squares. Could you give us an idea of how many large squares you would want in a set and a price range?

At this time, double-tissue has not been considered but I will mention it to see what the thought is.

Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

I think 35 cm would be a good size.
You can make almost any model with 35 cm tissue foil.
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

Axel´s Origami wrote:I think 35 cm would be a good size.
You can make almost any model with 35 cm tissue foil.
In the next month, we will be expanding our color choices and sizes. 35cm will be an option. We are trying to get an idea of how many squares we should sell at a time. We may be able to sell sets for a better price than if we sold each square individually. What price range would you be looking for? As always, shipping will be $3.99 regardless of order size.

Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

Hey everyone,

Just an update for the website. More colors have been added, along with larger sizes that you guys have requested. We now have double sided paper available in 15cm, 20cm, 25cm, and 35cm. 15cm paper is sold in a pack of 6, while the rest are sold individually. The feedback from this forum has been great and we look forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Thanks
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

You might want to also consider making and selling double tissue, and other variations like tissue-kraft.

Also you might want to think about carrying an uber 50 cm size for the tissue foil.
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

Honestly, I would encourage you to dedicate your 3" squares as free samples to potential buyers of larger squares.
The sizes might start at 20 cm and up .
The prices should be 1/2 of what you're asking, at least initially , to develop a customer following .
Finally, I would encourage you to state whether each square is 2 ply or 3 ply .
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

gordigami,

Thanks for your post! The 3" squares are geared towards modular origami. We have made some great phizz units out of them and will be adding some pictures to the website soon. But, you are right. The free samples is something we overlooked and will definitely be adding that to our business.
Currently, we are selling 15cm, 20cm, 25cm, and 35cm. Our next addition will be 50cm! At 50cm, there is a wall due to production limitations. We are trying to figure out a way to see if there is interest in a 100cm square of tissuefoil. Production runs of paper this large are vastly more expensive and we would like to have a pre-order style purchase. Color choices is one of the big questions since a color combination that doesn't sell well could spell disaster for the company. We continue to try new ideas every month though.
As far as the prices, this has been a topic in our meetings the last few weeks and we will be running a sale this winter :-)
And finally, are you referring to the 2 ply or 3 ply of the tissue paper or if the foil is laminated on both sides by tissue paper? In all of our paper, there is no foil exposed. The aluminum foil is completely covered on both sides by tissue paper. We will address this question on our home page soon as it is being reworked to include information about the company, the paper, and shipping methods. We will also be adding pictures and products.

Would anyone be interested in us posting the colors of tissue paper we have available so you could choose new color combinations for the site? We can either start a new thread or post it right here. (I'll start on it now but your feedback is greatly appreciated). Thanks for everyone's feedback and we look forward to making your TissueFoil.