Leicester (UK) Convention april 2006

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
emmajg

thank you

Post by emmajg »

Hi everyone
Thanks for coming to the convention.
Thanks to Nicolas and the other teachers.
Hope to see you all at Bristol 8-10 sept
Hugs
Em
p.s. where's the photo of me you took?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Edwin Corrie

Re: To what the paper aspires.

Post by Edwin Corrie »

Alexandre wrote: Hum today somebody registered with the nickname Edwin Corrie...
That was probably me. I stumbled across the forum a little while back and have been wondering about joining. With all this discussion about my Koala, how could I resist?

Thanks for all the nice comments, and thanks to David for posting the Koala diagrams. Hope you like the model after all the build-up and hype.

Edwin
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

Oh, and by the way, I've just submitted another (different) Koala to the BOS magazine, so you may be able to find it there in a few months' time.

For anyone who might be getting confused - including me - here's a list of my various Koala models:

Money Koala (from "Origami Animals"; folded from a banknote)
Koala (from "Origami Animals 3" and also Lang's "Paper Animals")
Koala 3 (from the Leicester convention book and now also here on the forum)
Koala (just sent to the BOS magazine)
Koala (two versions, brand new - no diagrams yet)

Don't ask why one is No. 3 and the others are un-numbered. It's a long story...
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Welcome to the Forum, Edwin Image nice to have you here.

Thanks for sharing your diagrams with us, you got some really nice stuff :-)

Oh, btw, why is that one Koala called Koala 3 while the others are un-numbered? :roll: :P
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

Daydreamer wrote:Check here: viewtopic.php?p=9327#9327 :wink:
Hey Gerwin, thanks a bunch for this!!! Will try this model now, i'll be using indian handmade paper, will take some pictures when I finish.

regards,
Nikhil.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
iAm4free

Re: To what the paper aspires.

Post by iAm4free »

Edwin Corrie wrote: Thanks for all the nice comments, and thanks to David for posting the Koala diagrams. Hope you like the model after all the build-up and hype.
Edwin
Hi Edwin,
I completed your Koala 3 and like all your other models I have done so far its very cute, its very simple and nice :) Thanks!!
regards,
Nikhil.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
saj

Post by saj »

mleonard wrote:Great photos, Saj. Next time around I don't think I'll bother taking my camera - if you're there, there doesn't seem to be any point. Shame you missed the POPPADOM meeting - it was a good one!
Thanks Mark. I will be coming to Bristol, so hopefully see you there :D I have received a lot of emails concerning how I managed to get the photos up so quickly after the convention ended.

I used Google Picasa to make colour corrections and then used the batch export command to resize the images. Then a simple gallery script generated the thumbnails and medium sized images. (considering we both host our websites on the server, the gallery script should work on your site too).

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

Daydreamer wrote:Welcome to the Forum, Edwin Image nice to have you here.

Thanks for sharing your diagrams with us, you got some really nice stuff :-)

Oh, btw, why is that one Koala called Koala 3 while the others are un-numbered? :roll: :P
Thank you, Gerwin, nice to be here.

OK, you asked for it...

When I began designing models it seemed an obvious idea to number them. It was when the numbers started getting higher (somewhere around Dog 22, I think) that I felt it was becoming a bit ridiculous. Not so much because of the inevitable jokes about "Dog 425" and "Bird 378", which I didn't really mind, but more because it looked strange when the models were published. In my books it seemed reasonable to number them consecutively, but that was inconsistent with the actual numbering. So for simplicity I started just calling them "Dog", "Bird", "Koala" etc. and relying on the date of creation to distinguish them.

Jeff Beynon somehow managed to come up with unique names for his models, but I didn't have enough imagination for that so in my case we're stuck with a mixture. Maybe the problem is not so evident because most of the things I've designed since the nomenclature changeover remain unpublished.

Nikhil,
Glad you liked Koala 3. It's a long time since I folded it, so maybe I need to do it again to remind myself what it's like.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

wow, another origami celebrity in our rows Image
hallo Edwin, welcome...make yourself at home
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

Despite coming down with the flu on Saturday and Sunday, I enjoyed the convention. It was good to see all the familiar faces, as well as meeting Ravi, Nicolas, Anna, Gerwin and Alexandre for the first time.

Nicolas' creations are very impressive viewed up close in real life. His new dragon and goblin on a dinosaur models look excellent. I finally picked up a copy of his Passion Origami (and have just managed to find the secret code today, I think).

I particularly enjoyed Max Hulme's guinea pig class - it's a great model, and I hope he gets around to diagramming it sometime.

I have some convention photos up on my Flickr page:
link
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Very nice photos indeed! Everything your doing comes out perfect, impressing :D