Sunburst

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Jakeplusplus

Re: Sunburst

Post by Jakeplusplus »

Just saw Okami! Awesome game and awesome model! Also your dragon looks like it's ready to raze a few villages. I bet I'll being seeing him in Skyrim shortly!
May a thousand cranes issue forth from thy hands!
My Flickr
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thanks, Jakeplus. Hard to say how I got into human models. I think I once stumbled on a face with elf ears, decided to expand the whole model and liked it. If you want to try boxpleated humans too, I guess one method would be to fold a grid, fiddle with it until you get a head, 2 arms and 2 legs. This way you'll also get your own style of human models.

I wasn't really thinking of making Sora. I'm actually currently playing KH2. You can try to guess what I'll want to make from that game :wink:

Also, which dragon are you talking about? There's dozens of dragons on my old gallery.
Jakeplusplus

Post by Jakeplusplus »

Thanks for the advice! I've always admired Hojyo Takashi's work and now yours I suppose, but could never figure out human models myself. I had learned to box-pleat from Lang's Origami Design Secrets, and been quite successful with animals and insects as I said, but every human model I tried end with an origami boulder (http://origamiboulder.com/).

I could try to guess, but as I would like to fold everything in that game, I would be listing things all day long, but here goes one guess: Axel? I probably would pick the game back up right now if my PS2 hadn't broke. Maybe I'll play some of Birth by Sleep after trying some of what you said for human models!

It was the one made for J0nB0n (I think that's what it says; I only speak English and Spanish). It's the one that is mint green on your Flikr.
My Flickr
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Hehe, we should actually exchange some designing tips as I am not that good with animals/insects in boxpleated. Do you even have a gallery somewhere?

That dragon is actually J0nb0n's, and that Okami model is not mine either, but bluepaper's (in case you mistook that too).

And nope, not Axel :)
Jakeplusplus

Post by Jakeplusplus »

No I don't have a gallery yet; I've been pretty busy. I hope to get one set up soon, hopefully on Flickr. I usually follow the square-river method outlined by Robert Lang in Origami Design Secrets to make my models. On your human subject's, do you just fold a grid and work it out as you go or do you design the base with pencil and paper. I would love to share any tips I could offer. I am not brilliant, yet, but that is the way of the origami communty, we have friendly competitions then share our methods to further the art.

Thanks for correcting me; I want to give credit to the right people, but you still folded them excellently. I love how origami is one of the only art forms where it is expected for other artists to remake models and even improve them!

Damn Axel would have been awesome! :cry: Not Pinocchio :^o [Sorry just wanted to use the smilie (just noticed light bulb smilie looks like a cyclops :idea: "I'll get you yet Nobody!")]. (Again sorry for divulging so much!)

Alright, how about...Mickey or Jack Skellington ("This is Holloween" will now be stuck in my head). If not one of these then you'll have to give me a hint. Maybe one of Organization XIII.
My Flickr
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Recent stuff:

Monster in the wardrobe.
48x60 boxpleat. An interesting idea that came to me for Halloween in october. The details on the door took an eternity to fold because of the tissue paper, but it was VERY worth it. I'm thinking of doing a similar model, but with a bed.

Jack Skellington
2 pieces: 20x40 for the head/bat-tie and 48/80 for the body. For the monthly challenge of the French forum (Nightmare before Christmas). I already thought of folding Jack, but this challenge encouraged me to do it. I expected a much better result, but this one is fine for the moment. The body and head were very hard to shape and really need an upgrade. The head and bat tie are from a separate rectangle. This was the only way to get the color-changes I wanted.

polistes
Forum Sensei

Post by polistes »

Amazed that is so cool :shock: :shock:
Jakeplusplus

Post by Jakeplusplus »

Amazing job on Jack Skellington. Already, amazing and you're planning on improving! The monster in the wardrobe is also similarly spectacular!
My Flickr
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Sunburst wrote:I'm thinking of doing a similar model, but with a bed.
Augh ! I've been toying with that idea for a while !

(very well done on the wardrobe + Jake)
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thank you very much!

gachepapier: un petit duel sur le forum francophone alors :twisted:
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

c'est une bonne idée ! Donne moi juste un peu de temps et on met ça au point, je voudrais encore plier pour le challenge de ce mois-ci !

(no worries anyone who does not read French, a friendly challenge in the works ;) )
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

i love thewardrobe its great
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thank you, jacinthemilton, trouble and gache!

It seems like I haven't updated this page for a while. Here's the stuff from the last months:

Magic Mirror
20x30 boxpleat. I wanted to use the base from my prisoner for another model and this idea came out. It's possible to modify the mask and even hide it.

Monster under the bed
28x98 boxpleat. Following the monster in the wardrobe. The nice thing with this model is that you can completely remove the monster to have a simple bed. You can also modify the monster to have a completely different shape or to have it pop out elsewhere.

Kabutops
32x50 boxpleat. For the pokemon challenge on the english forum. If I was to fold a pokemon, might as well be my favorite. For that reason, I attempted to make it as close as the original and the result is incredible to me.

Voodoo doll
Right: 16x32 boxpleat
Left: 18x34 boxpleat
For the interforum monthly challenge (useful stuff even in paper form). This idea came randomly and the more I think about it, the more uses I find for this doll (to be destroyed for instance). The right doll is the simplified version without a cross graft for the face.

GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

sunburst, i was just looking at your gallery and i want to say you are AMAZING!
diego-origami-brasil

Post by diego-origami-brasil »

Your kabutops is awesome! Very close to the original.