Blackdevil Angler

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
letranthedung

Blackdevil Angler

Post by letranthedung »

i am trying to finish the book " origami sea life " by John Montrol and Mr Lang
and The Blackdevil Angler stands out as the most beautiful model, but too bad , i got stuck in step 83, i really have no clue what the book is talking about. what is vice- versa? and where is the bottem single layer?
i am afraid to risk folding as i thought cos i don't want to rip off the paper and waste my 2 hour labour
so it would be awesome if anyone can help me out of this, if you can , please post some pictures accomplishing this
by the way i find it difficult when folding step 69 and 70. please show me some method that can avoid crumbling the paper

thanks , thanks , thanks a lot
kaerusan

Post by kaerusan »

Arf I too love this model!

First of all an advice for avoid crumbling the paper, if you don't "master" well the folding procedure of this model, forget the homemade tissue-foil paper ... the best results are obtained with a wet-folding technique.

I'll try to explain to you step 83:

1st read with attention the text(all is here)

In fact the mountain and valley folds you see on the pictures have to be done only on the FIRST layer(on top and bottom) the little triangle marked A go INSIDE the model when you done properly the fold
begin to make the mountain folds (remember only on the FIRST LAYER that's the key) and try to push the paper representing this famous triangle inside the model,when vou have pushed a good amount of paper inside, the horizontal valley fold will naturally come and help you to finish this step...

If that doesn't help you and if nobody post some pictures I will
good luck :D

I let you a picture of the finished model folded by me wet-folding
Click here

in the gallery you have also a tissue-foil folded model
letranthedung

Post by letranthedung »

wow, your blackdevil angler loos great, very smooth, i will follow your instructions right away
thanks
adamdust

Post by adamdust »

i've tried a variety of possibilities on this. all to no avail thus far. the one thing i haven't tried is an all-out sink, but that would involve more than the single layer. there is a lot of emphasis on "single layer only" and when i do this single layer only, the remaining "layers" beneath do not allow for the Teeth pieces to line up evenly. resulting in curved teeth pieces.

i'm really stuck on this. i'm using tissue foil that hasn't posed a problem yet and things are going rather smoothly despite this step.

any details would really help
Adam Dust
adamdust

Post by adamdust »

i took a few days to try a few things.
reluctantly.
but i managed the sink.
it has changed my approach toward sink folds.
before, and frequently, a sink fold requires the crease-by-crease opposite.

in step 83, i found that method doesn't really apply.
by single layer, i was thinking of the paper, and not the model.
so i ended up trying to fold in this one singular sheet, when the single layer actually consisted of multiple folds. it was as easy as pie, once i got it.

instructions always remain the most difficult part of folding origami for me. i follow them well, and my instincts aren't very honed (but i'm getting there).

one thing i have to say about this model that made using tissue foil difficult were the subsequent ssteps that pulled paper our to form the dorsal fin and the section between eye and upper jaw. i really slaughtered that part, but got the gist of it.
Adam Dust
georgelkh

Re: Blackdevil Angler

Post by georgelkh »

Dear all,

I am working on BlackDevil Angler (designed by Robert and John Montroll).

I have difficulties on folding at step 42 (Pull the trapped layer out from the interior), how is it?

Step 39 (before forming the preliminary fold)

Step 39 (forming the preliminary fold in progress)

Step 42

Thanks,
George
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

ah, I have that book, but I don't have time right now to fold that model.
Sorry. Try looking at the next diagram to help you.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
georgelkh

Post by georgelkh »

I read the next diagram and still don't understand.

Thanks,
George
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

EDIT: My original post was wrong. Hopefully this is better!

I don't have the model in front of me but I'll see if I can describe it.

Where the red circles are, there should be two edges on each side. The upper one was formed by the fold you did in step 38. As you close up the model from the picture shown (kind of like a petal fold), you need to put a finger between the two edges and pull up and out, causing a (double-thickness) layer to pop out of the model.

Hope that makes sense! If it's still confusing, I might be able to do some photos, but no promises!
georgelkh

Post by georgelkh »

Dears,

I cannot understand Step 67 to 68, please help.

Thanks,
George
georgelkh

Post by georgelkh »

Dear all,

I finally sort out step 67 and 68 and now stopped at step 104. How is it?

Step 104
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

when i fold this it does not come out right but i have recently learned how o fix that.
rwzheng1997

Post by rwzheng1997 »

For Step 42, I found that by completely unfolding that section (without flattening), and then flipping or loosing the paper, and then recollapsing the whole thing.
I am having trouble at step 83. The thing is kind of confusing, and my paper is starting to tear a bit (I have bond paper. yeah i know. But its big, so i use it). #-o
rwzheng1997

Post by rwzheng1997 »

Nevermind I got it. I forgot to swing the flaps to the side. But then I got stuck right after on step 85. :?
firtha12

Re: Requesting Help - Blackdevil Angler ?

Post by firtha12 »

Hello, I am stuck on what I need to do on Step 45 of Robert J. Lang's Blackdevil Angler. Can someone please post pictures on what this step is asking me to do? Also can this model be made completely out of a 29 by 29 CM or 30 by 30cm or does it have to be 40 By 40cm? Please help me, it'd be much appreciated.
Last edited by phillipcurl on June 9th, 2012, 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: correcting errors