Hippocampus by Roman Diaz

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
harlequin
Location: Among the southern folk, between the sunken city and the house in the clouds

Hippocampus by Roman Diaz

Post by harlequin »

Sorry, but my first post is a begging one!

I'm 'rediscovering' origami after a few years & looking around the net I found this site with a page full of roman diaz's work:

http://design.origami.free.fr/bestof/diaz/index.htm

There's various diagrams etc on their for a number of the models but the one I really like is the hippocampus - it's stunning!

Does anyone know if Diaz has made diagrams for this one available (or even CPs - I've never tried folding from one, but for this I might)? I'm not after breach of copyright, & I'm happy to pay for it, but after much trawling of the web looking for the right book/magazine/pamphlet/website, I've drawn a blank.

Any suggestions on where to look would be gratefully received.

Pleased to meet you all and thanks lots,

H.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Maybe you could send him a mail and ask him himself. I think his Email-adress could be his Yahoo-Name (romanmdeo_1999) with @yahoo.com . It would be worth a try.
Last edited by origami_8 on September 8th, 2005, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

Hi harlequin - welcome to the board.

The best place to start looking for diagrams is the Origami Database:
http://www.origamidatabase.com

However, on this one even the mighty database draws a blank. I'm pretty sure that diagrams don't exist. But there is a CP, if you look closely... In the picture entitled "Disenando el Hippocampo" you will find 4 CPs for various versions of the model - the largest CP would appear to be for the final version (I haven't tried folding it, though).
harlequin
Location: Among the southern folk, between the sunken city and the house in the clouds

Post by harlequin »

Thank you both for your help.

I tried the origami db - a great resource btw, and if anyone here knows who's responsible for it please pass on my thanks - I actually found my way here as a result of that site.

Cheers for pointing out the CP in the picture. I think I might email him first though as I'd rather get hold of something legitimately rather than photoshopping the CP to try and clear it up! I was trying to avoid emailing him as he probably gets loads of people bothering him about similar things and I didn't want to be an inconvenience, but it looks like it might be my best bet.

If I do ever get to fold this thing, I'll post a piccy. I hope to be around for a while, picking the brains of those wiser and better than me!

Cheers,

H.
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

I'm sure Roman wouldn't mind you trying to Photoshop the CP out of the picture - why would he include it if he didn't want people to try and work it out? In fact, I'm going to have a go myself.

The main man behind the Origami Database is Dennis Walker, aided and abetted by (among others) our genial host Saj.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Roman Diaz will be publishing a book soon (this august).
Nicolas had a preliminary index of this book at the BOS convention and there will be diagrams for the Hippocampus in it. I'm so looking forward to this book :-D

More info at http://design.origami.free.fr/bestof/di ... reters.htm
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
WhiteShadows

Post by WhiteShadows »

wow....drools lol that Hippocampus looks awsome. just wondering what his bacground is and which mythology the hippocampus is from.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Well, Hippocampus is the latin term for Seahorse, so Roman's model might just be a literal representation of what that term means :-)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Daydreamer wrote:Well, Hippocampus is the latin term for Seahorse, so Roman's model might just be a literal representation of what that term means :-)
It's the creature that pulls Poseidon's chariot, in greek mythology.
polop

Post by polop »

I'm sooooo going to get that book :D :D
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Pedants' corner : Hippocampus derives from the Greek, rather than the latin.

It also refers to an area of the brain that is part of the limbic system, which does look a little bit like a seahorse.
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Nyman

Post by Nyman »

mleonard wrote:Hi harlequin - welcome to the board.

How Can I get diagrams or cps in this site??
Chimbote - Peru
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Nyman wrote:
mleonard wrote:Hi harlequin - welcome to the board.

How Can I get diagrams or cps in this site??
you can't for there are not any. What mark meant was that there you can find where actual diagrams are: bookcs, booklets, web pages, etc

Maybe the best place to find many diagrams would be http://www.origami.com and there is a sticky thread on these boards telling you about free diagrams. Check it out.