Jose Meeusen - Decostar

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
kleenx

Jose Meeusen - Decostar

Post by kleenx »

Hello,

I'm brand new to these boards, so first I'd like to say, HI!

I searched decostar but couldn't find anything on the forums so I'm asking. I'm relatively new to the origami thing. I can make easy stuff like the crane or ninja star. But I thought the design was cool and wanted to try this.

http://dev.origami.com/images_pdf/decostar.pdf

I found this on this website: http://dev.origami.com/diagram.cfm?CurrentPage=5

I can understand up to step 2 (although I don't know what that arrow with the line is?). But there are no words explaining the next few steps.

I know its a lot to ask, but could someone tell me whats going on afterwards? :shock:
How did it become curvy on step 4? Step 5 is kind of confusing, but 6 seems relatively easy. And 7 through 9 seems confusing as well. I'm sorry for all these questions.

Thank you
jeko

Re: Jose Meeusen - Decostar

Post by jeko »

Hi Kleenx,

the arrow outside of the square in step 2 with the 3 lines means "repeat 3 times". Rotate the paper by 90 degrees repeat step 2 and continue doing that until you get the square in the center as shown in step 3.

In step 3 only fold where indicated. If you leave the paper folded you get a somewhat curved paper as shown in step 4. In step 4 fold the two layers of paper together.

Unfortunately I have not figured out the reference for the mountain fold in step 5 yet.

In step 7 you need to add 4 more mountain folds and fold all the folds simultaneously. The paper will not lay flat. In step 8 you refold the creases you made in steps 4 & 6 (you need to crease the some additional layers along these creases as well). Then take a look at the drawings of the completed model. After folding the last point you need to tuck in a flap on the back.

Edit: Typos
Last edited by jeko on January 13th, 2012, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Hello kleenx and welcome to the forums.

I remember struggling with those very badly drawn diagrams some years ago when I started doing origami. In the end is not such a great model.

Make sure you follow the diagrams from your screen or print them in color because colors and tones are critical for the last stages.

Step 4 is probably the worst in the whole diagram.

As for step 5, the mountain fold is to divide in half the angle formed by the right hand side edge, the top right corner and diagonal starting at the top right corner.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

eww, i remember having nightmares from trying those...
or it may have been a different model, but the diagrams were still disgusting.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I folded it to remember old times, those diagramas are baaaad and the result not so nice. The only good thing is the way a 3D shape in step 7 becomes flat again. Here it is:

Still if you need advice just ask.
kleenx

Post by kleenx »

hey guys!

Thanks for your replies!

After wasting about 30 pieces of papers I'm still stuck after step 3. Was that fold on step 3 arbitrarily made or is there an actual spot I should fold the paper? Should step 4 not be curvy? My paper gets a bit raggy after all these folds so I must be doing something wrong. I actually forced my way to step 7 but am a loss there too haha oh goodness...(is there a video of someone doing this? maybe that'll be easier for me =/)

@Brimstone, that looks so nice!

Thanks again guys and sorry for the "noobie-ness"
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

don't blame yourself, thoes diagrams are horrible.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

kleenx wrote:hey guys!

Thanks for your replies!

After wasting about 30 pieces of papers I'm still stuck after step 3. Was that fold on step 3 arbitrarily made or is there an actual spot I should fold the paper? Should step 4 not be curvy? My paper gets a bit raggy after all these folds so I must be doing something wrong. I actually forced my way to step 7 but am a loss there too haha oh goodness...(is there a video of someone doing this? maybe that'll be easier for me =/)

@Brimstone, that looks so nice!

Thanks again guys and sorry for the "noobie-ness"
Use a larger paper maybe that can help for your first tries.

The creases that divide each side in half, should extend up to 1/4 of the side, that's the reference for the crease on step 3 you were asking for.

Stpe 4 as I had said before is one of the worst in the diagram, paper should not be curvy there. You just don't unfold the crease made in step 3 and then you fold both layers over the crease of the internal square made in step 2.

Step 7 is the only interesting step of this model. Pay attention to the direction of the creases (remember that mountain crease near each edge are not shown in any step before, but you have to make them. The references are abvious. Pay attention to the colors and shades as explained in the text.

Keep trying and if you don't succeed come back and ask for help. I might even make a video.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I made a video in case anyone is still interested:
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I checked the video I'd made before and there was room for improvement, so I made a new one, so in case anyone is having trouble with this model you can check:
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

For future reference in case someone comes looking for advice on the diagram for this model, there is a brand new diagram approved by the author that will appear on this year's convention books of Mexico and Colombia in case you can get a hold of one of those.