Pleating/Crimping techniques

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
nat

Pleating/Crimping techniques

Post by nat »

I have a problem with pleating and crimping my models. Usually these are the last steps like shaping wings or tails. The problem is, although i try very hard and get my model to turn out very accurate, the last step always mess me up. My pleat/crimps are not sharp like the ones suggested or in the pictures.

What are the ways or technique people use to make nice pleatings? Any kind of pre-creasing or something else?
It would be alot of help if i can get this right...

thanks alot
-nat
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Practice, practice and more practice.

If what you're crimping is a relatively small and narrow flap, using a pair of tweezers will help immensely.
esato

Post by esato »

And maybe sometimes you have to use the right kind of paper. It is impossible to achieve stisfactory results using kami to fold ultra complex insects.
Friet

Post by Friet »

I agree, practice is the only way to learn how to shape your models. Although the final shaping steps are only a few steps they're probably the most important steps of the entire folding process. And as you advance to more complex models shaping them becomes more and more important. Like esato said the kind of paper you use can make a big difference too, but that's something you'll have to experiment with yourself.

Btw, when I just began folding I often just skipped some of the pleating steps. But I found out that badly pleated wings look better then unpleated wings, so keep trying :)
nat

Post by nat »

Thank u for all ur replies,

but i was wondering how some people are able to make those ones that are so straight and the ends connect so nicely. Many times its not possible to fold each valley and mountain fold one at a time. And I dont think you can make it by holding the paper in the air and crimping it either. Thats why i asked if there are some good method of making crimp folds..
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

It is very hard to understand to your text (for me of course!), but I try to help you.
About practice: Eastern dragon of Joseph Wu is perfect model for practising of crimps. And you will have a nice model, not only folded paper.
About technics: I lead a origami lecture for beginners and also crimps are one of our topic. I teach several ways to manage it. I will try to draw something (in Paint) and post it here. I hope it will be helpful for you.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz