who is the best at origami?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Baltorigamist

Re: who is the best at origami?

Post by Baltorigamist »

Where did you find the link to that? I'm curious to see some more of his "unpublished" work. Probably the only post-09 stuff I've seen is that and the tiger, rooster, and a couple other models he displayed at a convention.
(Knowing Satoshi, that anubias is just a graft on a couple bird bases. Based on what I can see of the structure, it's probably that or something close, too.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I found that one on Lang's website. Heres a hint to find more of his "unpublished" work. Look in various origami challenges, he usually participates in most of them.
That one in particular was made for a challenge for plants.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I wonder why he doesn't publish any of those designs. Maybe he's secretly working on a book! :D [-o<
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

we can only hope.

If he were to release another book with all of his more recent designs i would have to save up again.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

It takes a long time to design a model, maybe longer to get it just right.... then even more time to stop creating and start documenting in the form of diagrams, or even a clear CP.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

i hope his next book (if he is going to make one) is a s good as works of satoshi kamiya.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

HankSimon wrote:It takes a long time to design a model, maybe longer to get it just right.... then even more time to stop creating and start documenting in the form of diagrams, or even a clear CP.
Exactly, he has not designed many models in the past 3 years. Quite enough time to be making a book.

Brian Chan is doing the same thing.

And I would expect Satoshi to make a new book soon anyway, it has been also 10 years since his first. most origami artists don't make just one, unless they include everything in one book. I think what he might do is include his models released in the tanteidans along with some other new unpublished diagrams.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It's only been a couple years since WOSCO. That was pretty much just a compilation of others' work, even if he did have a few of his own models, but honestly, how many others of his designs--newer or older--can even be diagrammed? I mean, knowing him, probably a lot.

Personally, I'm shooting for Shishigami, Bahamut Zero, and one of the Phoenixes--always wanted to fold them but I don't have the patience to do the CP.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

actually i found these online diagrams or the 3.5 pheonix but now i can't find it. :(
EDIT: here it is.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkICJtUE1hI
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

not a diagram, thats a video.

I have used it before, there is still a lot of precreasing you have to do, he only walks you through some of it.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
GWB origami
Forum Sensei

Post by GWB origami »

Yes, but if you've printed out the crease pattern that isn't a problem.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

GWB origami wrote:actually i found these online diagrams or the 3.5 pheonix but now i can't find it. :(
EDIT: here it is.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkICJtUE1hI
Rumor has it some guy drew those up on Microsoft Word. In any case, Megaupload is shut down now bc the owners decided to pay themselves for people's downloads.

And I CAN solve the CP. I'm just too lazy to shape it. (The problem used to be a lack of good paper, but I think I might try it again one of these weeks.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

i made it with tracing paper before. needless to say it didn't turn out that great. i gave up about halfway through. I will make it again soon, probably with kozo or sekishu paper.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
maddoghoek100

Post by maddoghoek100 »

interesting that people seem to equate the rate of publication with the rate of creation. The rate of publication probably says a lot more about the rate of publication and priority being place on publication. I would wager it says very little about the persons productivity creating new models, amount of commission work they are taking on, and their future planned publications.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Baltorigamist wrote:It's only been a couple years since WOSCO. That was pretty much just a compilation of others' work, even if he did have a few of his own models, but honestly, how many others of his designs--newer or older--can even be diagrammed? I mean, knowing him, probably a lot.

Personally, I'm shooting for Shishigami, Bahamut Zero, and one of the Phoenixes--always wanted to fold them but I don't have the patience to do the CP.
Another thing I just noticed.
You know how Satoshi does the picture titles? like 0901? well, I figured out that there is a pattern that tells you how many models he has created...
i will explain. the first two number (in my example 09) is the year number, like 2009. The next two numbers (in my example 01) is the model number of his creation, like the number of the model he created that year...
if this pattern is correct as it was in previous years, he created around 14 models in 2008 alone. which is very good considering the complexity he designs. Its more than one model a month.

According to this pattern also, he created 10 models in 2009.
We don't know what the other ones are though.
So this means, on average, satoshi designs around 12 models a year, or about one a month.

so, what we know he has designed since 2009 so far is this: rooster, tiger, anubias plant, rhinocerous, rabbit, plesosaurus, giraffe, tree frog, tanuki, and a sharpheaded grasshopper, which almost all of have been diagrammed or have a crease pattern made...actually, all except the rooster, tiger, and anubias plant as far as I know.

I have hope that he is making another book, and it would be good for me so i don't have to keep going on wild goose chases for his models. But I do know he has designed at least 10 models since 2009 by now.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip