Who is your origami idol?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Rick Beech is a decent chap in real life. I am sure most ladies would like him - he's tall, blonde and very well spoken. He taught me Komatsu's horse, and his folding is far more advanced than the oft' published book seems to suggest.

I met Robert Lang, one of my idols at a BOS convention. He is about 8 foot tall, hairy, and looks far more cuddly than any photos on the net make him look.
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Does anyone have pictures of the models fold by John Montroll himself?
that's an excellent question, I would really like to take a look at the way he's folding his models. somebody (can't remember who it was) told me one, that he's a good designer, but a very poor folder. can anybody approve? wasn't mr. Montroll the teacher or mentor of somebody in this forum?
by the way: Montroll is also my favorite designer (as I wrote in my reply) :)
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

Robert Lang is definitly my ido. His insect models are incredible, and his book origami design secrets is beyond compare. What i like most about Mr. Lang is his willingness to make a smuch of his work as possible available for viewing and folding, moreover, the fact that treemaker is freeware. Most people would charge for a program of this calibre, and it is very generous of Robert to make the program, and it's detailed instruction manual availabe.
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

All I've seen from montroll are the instructions for his elephant that can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/brill
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

I think that these pictures are for Dave Brill's elephant in Brilliant Origami.
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

caysao1 wrote:Does anyone have pictures of the models fold by John Montroll himself?
The models shown on the covers of "Origami for the Enthusiast" and "Animal Origami for the Enthusiast" were probably folded by John Montroll.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/04 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg

They certainly look like the ones I remember from conventions where he had models on display. He tends to use standard origami paper, and I think he's more interested in the methods than in producing models for display purposes.
malachi

Post by malachi »

Tomoko Fuse
isurus

Post by isurus »

Mr. Fumiaki kawahata
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Alexandre wrote:I think that these pictures are for Dave Brill's elephant in Brilliant Origami.
:oops:
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Well, where to begin.

I have great respect for folders like Yoshizawa Akira ( Who in my opinion is like the kansho ( I can't spell that) of Origami), Robert Lang and Kamiya satoshi, who can all be seen as pioneers in their own rights, but...

Ok, just a few things before I name my Idol. I am a physics student. I have a great affinity for mathematics (I love it and am currently trying to figure out a general form for computing the fuction perpendicularly parallel to any general fuction, as well as study the geometry on the surface of a sphere, and on the side my second year math) and am a great admirer of original thinkers, people willing to do there own thing outside the mainstream. Thus my two idols:

The late Thoki Yenn, and in a close second
Tomoko Fuse.

Both continuous producers of original and inovative work.

tx

P.S. Any of you who have ever seen or folded mr. Yenn's umulius rectangulum design will know what I mean by knee joint. I am currently in the process of developing a form of origami I call, for lack of a better term, multitubular origami. it is loosely based on the idees in the umulius design. So far I have templated many other opperations with a tube such as: Hinges, twists, shirkings etc. but more on this somewhere else. :wink:
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Thoki Yenn seem to attract mathematical minds a lot. Last year my local group did an exposition at a University museum located in the math faculty. I folded the Flip Flop which is one of my all time favorite origami models and it got stolen!!!. But it was not just comon vandalism or common theft. The person went through the hassle of carefully removing the tag that identified the model by its name, its creator and its folder. I was so proud
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

the Flip Flop is a kind of "animated" model ?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Alexandre wrote:the Flip Flop is a kind of "animated" model ?
I guess you could consider the Flip flop an action model. If you push it, it will go up again by itself. It is not much of an action but what is great about this model is its structure. Imagine an origami model made from one single piece of paper that is a solid with holes. Just amazing

You can see an animation of its action at http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~edemaine/thok/moreflip.html
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

Yes I meant "action model". Thanks for the link, I never seen this model, it looks really interesting. I will add it to my todo list.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Regarding an old question on this old thread, there are a few pictures of Montroll's models folded by him at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bkwebb/361759412 and after