Fred Rohm's Star of David written instructions

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Brimstone
Buddha

Fred Rohm's Star of David written instructions

Post by Brimstone »

Has anyone succeded folding Fred Rohm's Star of David written instructions at http://www.origami-usa.org/archives/id00004_1.html
That have tips at http://www.origamitips.com/articles.php ... show&id=13
and that the finished model should looks like

[img]http://www.westworld.com/~nienhuis/stardbig.jpg[/img]

If so or if you have the original diagrams I would appreciate some hints about the refferences for the diamonds since I wasn't able to find them through the written instructions
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

the book Viva! Origami has one that looks just like dont know if its a bill fold though ill keep lookin
Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
WhiteShadows

Post by WhiteShadows »

that star looks like a good 6 piont throwing star!!!!
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

r u the dude that accepted my shuriken challenge :?:
Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
k00ldeep

cannot get an american dollar

Post by k00ldeep »

hi ,

I cannot get an american dollar ,I knwo how to get one which is similar in dimension from a sheet of paper however as per the instrucitn's , an actual dollar is needed , can someone show the labourios way as mentioned in the instructions .

Regards,
K00ldeep
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

You can always print yourself a dollar bill from the various pictures that are on the internet, f.e here. Don't try to spend it though :P
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I cracked this model from the graphic instructions, I guess two airports in one day give you enough time to discern many things. The model is amazing.

The final model suggests very complex folding but it is actually quite simple. Developing the folding method on the other hand was pure genious (by Fred Rohm I mean).

I just divided the rectangle in 6ths and then pressed slowly as to form the diamonds and then aligned the edges and the diamonds formed themsleves revealing the simple references. I didn't fold it from a dollar bill. Instead I obtained a rectangle with the same proportions using the methods described here: viewtopic.php?t=510&postdays=0&postorde ... ll&start=0

I even succeded folding it from my local currecny which is shorter and taller than a dollar bill (and cheaper since it is only worth U$0.40) by modifyng the bill using the method mentioned before. I won't have access to a difgital camera until mid next week since as I mentioned before I am travelling. I will post a picture then.

origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

If I´m allowed to ask, what kind of currency is it?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

The currency is Colombian Peso and the actual bill is of COP$1.000 which is roughly equivalent to U$0.40

Since it is shorter in lenght and taller in height, you have to fold a part at the top and at the bottom (or just one double the size at any of the borders). This makes the tips of the star to be thick and difficult to fold. The result is not great but still good and I am very proud of myself finding out by myself the reference points.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Here's a picture of the finished model: Image
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

That looks really nice, I like the way the pattern of the bill comes out on the star, although it looks a bit scary :-)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Agreed. The eye gives it some sinister "feel"
pupalisk

Post by pupalisk »

gaah... this is really hard. can someone provide full graphic instructions? the verbal ones are imposible...
BLAARG! SMAARG! GRAAAAAOOORRGH!!!
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

This instructions will allow for a model that does not lock. After you've mastered them, you can leave a short fringe on the side, do the folding sequence and then unwrap the fringe and lock the model. Try first with a rectangle with the same proportions of a dollar bill. The instructions for such rectangle are somewhere up this same topic.

- Divide the rectangle in half along the shor side. Unfold
- Divide the rectangle in 3rds along the long side
- Divide the thirds in 6ths
- Crease diagonaly from the left top corner to the bottom of the second vertical crease from the right. Unfold
- Crease from the end of previous crease to the center of the right edge of rectangle
- Crease diagonaly from the left bottom corner to the top of the second vertical crease from the right
- Crease from the end of previous crease to the center of the right edge of rectangle
- Repeat the previous steps with the corners of the right hand side edge
Now you have rhombuses all along the rectangle. You need the diamonds.
- Crease from the bottom of the rhombus on the first vertical crease from right to left, to the top right edge of the rectangle, but stop at the middle of the rectangle. Complete the diamond folding the other 3 creases with the same inclination as this one.
- Repeat for the rhombuses at the 3rd and 5th vertical creases.

The above procedure will give you the necessary creases. From then on you can follow the photographs mentioned before on the thread
pupalisk

Post by pupalisk »

sweet. thanks, i will try to make it
BLAARG! SMAARG! GRAAAAAOOORRGH!!!