Satoshi Kamiya's New Book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
merman

Re: Satoshi Kamiya's New Book

Post by merman »

Someone told me who knows a friend of Kamiya
cowburger13

Post by cowburger13 »

merman wrote:Update: the Phoenix has 283 steps!

We now have:
- Japanese Maple Leaf
- Golden Retriever
- Asian Elephant
- Raccoon Dog (new, only taught in class)
- Tree Frog (new, only taught in class)
- Styracosaurus (new)
- Minotaur
- Phoenix (new)
Diagrams for the raccoon dog exist.....
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

I folded phoenix i 3 steps... strange
My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
CreasePatternmaker

Post by CreasePatternmaker »

Don't get me wrong, I think these are fantastic models, but most of his models have been published before. This does have some unpublished work though so that's good.
merman

Post by merman »

Yes I also know about the Raccoon Dog diagrams but they were onlu taught in class. I know illegal PDF-files exist...
yevgen

Post by yevgen »

A new model released that is going to be in the book is his lion (picture on facebook)
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

These models are great, but I'm a little disappointed... The Phoenix looks to be the only model really unpublished...
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

StefOmega wrote:These models are great, but I'm a little disappointed... The Phoenix looks to be the only model really unpublished...
There should be 2 more unpublished (tree frog and maybe styracosaurus)
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

Kafar wrote:
StefOmega wrote:These models are great, but I'm a little disappointed... The Phoenix looks to be the only model really unpublished...
There should be 2 more unpublished (tree frog and maybe styracosaurus)
Ok, but they are only 3 on 8 models. This means that most of them are available elsewhere.
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

This was the same criticism that his first book received. Surely everyone was aware that any collected works would be an anthology of already published models - possibly with some revisions. Just like Komatsu's book and Satoshi's first book. That there will (may) be 4 officially unpublished models (Pheonix, Styracosaurus, Racoon Dog and Tree frog) is pretty fortunate if you ask me and although I have all the other diagrams will see me part with my money.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Kamiya's models are usually published in limited editions that are hard to obtain (like tanteidan.) So if you already "have" every published SK diagram post "Works I" then you either
1- are already a fantastic supporter of Japanese publishers, in which case you'll probably buy this one too,
or
2- downloaded everything and buying this book is the least you should do to support the artist and Origami House.
Last edited by kareshi on October 22nd, 2012, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kijjakarn

Post by Kijjakarn »

I agree with kareshi.
I own 4 Origami Tanteidan Convention Books, Vol. 13—16, but have never attended any of Kamiya's classes. So, diagrams for models which are only taught in classes are considered new, and I am happy with the contents in the new book so far.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I have tanteidan 16 and 17, plus Works of SK.

I do think he should include some more unpublished models in the book, but even if he doesn't, most of the diagrams will be new to me. I'm happy either way, but i was looking forward to some diagrams i couldn't find elsewhere. If he doesn't, eventually, most of his diagrams will be release in tanteidan magazine or conventions. Its how people make money. they know people are going to buy something with his models in it, as Satoshi is a great designer, so they publish them in 50 million different places. its almost like, but no where near as bad as, at&t. the experience i had with them the past weekend... if you have them for internet and home phone service, then you'll understand. it was like the freaking civil war at my house. and i still don't have good internet, instead, they give me dial up. yay.

This book is going to be good, whether he includes many unpublished models or not, as i won't have to look in 200 different places to find a model i'm looking for of his. it will save me money and time, and thats good enough.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

I can assure you that I am a subscriber to Tanteidan (and have been for a couple of decades), have been buying the convention books every year and bought the respective convention books to get the minotuar and cicada diagrams. I would guess I am not alone in this. Luckily I am blessed with a stable job a good income and a PayPal account :wink: . Kareshi, while your options were logical be careful not to cast aspersions.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Just means you go into the "fantastic supporter" category. Origami world needs more people like you!