Sunburst

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Tahaorigami

Re: Sunburst

Post by Tahaorigami »

Thank you I will try a CP soon but I am not very experienced :?
It would be good if you just made mountain/valley CP's instead of diagrams. I know that it will be tiring. :wink:

Can I ask you if your "Entrance to the underworld" is made from a square? I don't like models from rectangles much. :?
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Yeah, most of my designs are from rectangles now. I try to aim for squares at first, but if the design fits on a rectangle, there's no point adding wasted paper just to get a square. Entrance to the underworld just happens to be from a square, though.

And I don't really draw mountain/valley creases on my CPs: boxpleating is so straightforward that you always get alternating creases. I suggest you try my heartless shadow CP, as it's very simple (although it is from a rectangle :lol: )
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Yay, update! While I did not post anything here for a while, I haven't been inactive. I will post the models I folded over the year one by one (after this post), one per week, for fun!

Dr Jekyll and M. Hyde
48*96 boxpleat. I liked the idea of a subject and its shadow with a single sheet a lot. The idea became more interesting if the shadow was different than the subject. I eventually thought of doing Dr. Jekyll with a demonic M. Hyde shadow. The legs of the doctor are obviously joined to get a shadow starting at the feet. I don't think this will be my last model of this kind. Also, it's rare to see a shadow casting a shadow...

Naga gen.2
72x72 boxpleat diagonal. When I was lacking inspiration for new models, I thought the moment was ideal to upgrade my earlier models. My criterias for generation 2: obligatory color-change, better proportions, more detailed and a livelier pose; all to get a more distinct model. This naga is the first of her generation which I am very proud of. The best is comparing her with her earlier version to see the upgrades.

chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

I love the idea behind Jekyll and Hyde! Nice work with the shaping too!
JamesOrigami490

Post by JamesOrigami490 »

Wow! Amazing models! I especially love Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde! It's amazing! What kind of paper do you use? Right now I only have printer paper and 6" kami, so I'm trying to research what others like.
Hi! I'm James, in 7th grade, and an avid paperfolder/writer.
My imgur
My Website
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Kinda obvios. Tissue foil haha. It's one of the only papers that can be shaped like he does. Everything else would need gallons of MC or something
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thank you, chesscuber98 and JamesOrigami490!

James: Benlewiseorigami is spot on: tissue foil it is. While it can take shaping incredibly well, it is also a disadvantage: all the precreases stay apparent, reversing folds is a pain and if you don't take your time it ends up a bit crumpled. It also tears easily. If you can get past all that, though, you can get good results which could only be attained with gallons of MC, like Ben says.
Benlewisorigami

I think your folds are AMAZINGGGGGG though! You are my absolute favorite bp designer! No one else thinks of all your crazy human designs (which I wish there were cp's for) and endless ideas! I just love them! Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is just a great idea! I love the shadow too... Awesome in every way :D

JamesOrigami490

Sunburst wrote:Thank you, chesscuber98 and JamesOrigami490!

James: Benlewiseorigami is spot on: tissue foil it is. While it can take shaping incredibly well, it is also a disadvantage: all the precreases stay apparent, reversing folds is a pain and if you don't take your time it ends up a bit crumpled. It also tears easily. If you can get past all that, though, you can get good results which could only be attained with gallons of MC, like Ben says.
Benlewisorigami wrote:Kinda obvios. Tissue foil haha. It's one of the only papers that can be shaped like he does. Everything else would need gallons of MC or something
Sorry, I'm not very experienced when it comes to origami paper. :oops: I've gone through all of the pages on this topic I've missed, and I must say, very great work!
My imgur
My Website
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thanks again, both!

Mermaid gen.2

72x72 diagonal boxpleat. My first mermaid was created from my naga. It was only logical that the second version would be similarly made. The tail gave problems since it had to be twisted to hide the color-change transition, which limits its pose. At least, it is much more detailed than the first. I am very proud of the dorsal fin.

Benlewisorigami

:O WOW! That's AWESOME!!! great fold!!!

chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Beautiful how the fins twists around. Just spectacular to see.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Thank you both! Unfortunately, chesscuber98, as mentioned in the description, that's pretty much the only pose possible! I really wanted to have her sitting...

Genie gen. 2

44x66 boxpleat. Many upgrades for this model: better transition between genie and smoke, different lamp, more buff, a vest and a different head. This model had an interesting transfer from diagonal BP to ordinary BP. Diagonal BP prevented color change for the vest and wasted too much paper for the turban (like the first version.)

JamesOrigami490

Awesome genie! You're so amazing!
My imgur
My Website
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Amazing work with the colour changes as usual :)