Hideo Komatsu - Girls-BP

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Kijjakarn

Hideo Komatsu - Girls-BP

Post by Kijjakarn »

Hi, all.

I have collapsed the crease pattern of Hideo Komatsu's Girls-BP, but I don't know how to hide the 4 excess flaps at the back of the model. Taking a good look at it, Komatsu's folds look completely different from mine. For example, the square that forms the model's flank just under the shoulder is folded into 45º. It's the area around the darkest spot of the picture:

Compared to my fold (not yet completed):

Also, in Komatsu's model the area around the buttocks doesn't seem to have any separation (the area just left to the model's right hand in the picture). So does that mean one of the excess flaps is spread and made to cover the back of the model? What is the correct way to arrange the those flaps?

Edited: Fixed typo.
Last edited by Kijjakarn on July 27th, 2013, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kijjakarn

Re: Hideo Komatsu - Girls-BP

Post by Kijjakarn »

Since nobody, except for Komatsu himself, seems to have taken a picture of the back of this model, I had thought of resorting to just sinking the excess flaps in. But since I know a little bit of Japanese, I tried Googling using the word『小松英夫の少女』, and found this picture from Flickr:

Luckily, this is exactly what I was looking for. It's folded by Hayashi Ikiri (林伊桐). (By the way, his Flickr photostream is gorgeous.)

Foreign language does help, at least in this case.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Glad that you found what you were looking for and thanks for pointing out the flickr stream. The buttocks on this fold are really shaped very realistic.
Kijjakarn

Post by Kijjakarn »

In case anyone wants some more clarification on the back of the model, here is my approach:

The upper flaps are rounded and supported by flaps underneath to make the buttocks. The lower flaps are then folded to lock and keep those flaps in place.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Are you using standard printing paper to fold this? If so, I'm impressed. You have it holding the shapes extremely well.
Kijjakarn

Post by Kijjakarn »

Razzmatazz, I used a 60 x 60 cm white paper. I've tried folding with a copy paper and realized that it would be practically impossible to make the model stay in that shape.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Could it be something like bond paper?
Also, stupid question, but where's the CP for this model?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Kijjakarn

Post by Kijjakarn »

Baltorigamist, I think it's bond paper.

Here's the link to the crease pattern: http://origami.gr.jp/~komatsu/gallery/girls-bp01.html
This link contains what I think are Komatsu's design notes: http://f.hatena.ne.jp/origami/Box-pleated%20Girl/
Really useful for folding the model.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Ah, well it's still an excellent fold from what I can see!
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

Chen Baixin was inspired by the Komatsu flaps..what he referred to as the 360° shaping on the posterior to make the rear appear round and bubbly rather than flat...
I can see how the both flaps are curbed or bent to make that happen