Dragon models - Does anyone have any good ones?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
thegnome54

Dragon models - Does anyone have any good ones?

Post by thegnome54 »

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if any of you know of some good dragon models. I'm kind of new to origami, I just make them in school when I'm bored for friends. I tried out a dragon recently and really liked the result -

[img]http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/6285/dragon6oh.jpg[/img]

After this, I'm tempted to push my limits and try some more hardcore origami (if such a thing exists). Any other cool fantasy models would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
I don't want no sign-ture!
...darn!
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
thegnome54

Post by thegnome54 »

Thanks, but I don't really want a simple dragon or anything, I just want to know if anyone knows of some really cool ones somewhere, not necessarily on this site. For example, I had no idea about kowasaki's rose, and if I search for 'rose', I won't necessarily find it on here.
...darn!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You will, especially if you search for Kawasaki instead of Kowasaki.

A really cool but very complex dragon is for example the ancient dragon by Satoshi Kamiya (Diagrams can be found in his book), but at first you should try simpler ones like the dragon in flight by Charles Esseltine (there´s a topic on this Forum for some help for this model, just search for it).

And once again, delete the blank lines from your signature!!!
thegnome54

Post by thegnome54 »

Ok, sorry, I'll search.

Again? :? I didn't hear you the first time, sorry. They're there for comic effect, do I really have to get rid of them (and if you insist, how do I do that?)? This forum is pretty strict...
...darn!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

There´s a "Profile"-button on the top of each page, there you can change your signature.

And yes, the Forum may be a little bit conservative sometimes, but that keeps it a good source. If you need help with a special model for example, it´s a lot easier if you can use the search function and come up with one topic containing all the informations and helpfiles for this special model than if you get 20 different ones that you have to search through, that´s the reason why people link to other topics and sometimes new threads with the same theme will be closed.

Our Forum Rules about signatures are the following:

# Users using an image for their signature are requested that the dimensions be no greater than 60px high and 400px across. Please ensure your image is less than 6k in size.
-> The same dimensions shouldn´t be extended by text!

# Text sizes should be between 9 and 12 (small and normal). Text in signatures is subject to the same conditions as posts with respect decency, warez, emoticons, and so forth.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Back to the topic, do you only want fantasy models or are other cool models also as good? If others also count, I can highly recommend you Jeremy Shafer´s models. Most of them are action models and some, like for example the venus flytrap or the magic cube are really cool. Some diagrams can be found on his page, but he published a book as well (containing a dragon by the way). Just look here: http://barf.cc/diagrams/diagrams.htm
origami93

Post by origami93 »

about that dragon in flight, if you have just started doing origami, i think that would be a little bit hard for you. i have been doing origami for abut 2 years and i still had trouble on some steps. i seriously don't recommend doing the ancient dragon if you just started. look on origami.com, i'm sure that they have all kinds of dragon models there.
thegnome54

Post by thegnome54 »

I understand. I will look into that, thank you. Origami93, what kind of steps are in there that are hard? I'm pretty confident (probably falsely) because I read so much about the kawasaki rose being so hard, but I managed to make a slightly altered version of it with no trouble. Here's a picture of that (I made two) and a few other models I made yesterday during the car ride to Rhode Island (I'm moving there by the way, so I might be inactive here for extended periods, if anyone cares). I hope you don't mind me posting too many pictures, but I'm a proud father of my little models :D Is there a rule for image sizes?

[img]http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/4779/models4rj.jpg[/img]

Oh and origami_8, if you feel that this thread is repetitive/unnecessary, feel free to lock/delete it or whatever. I know I don't really have a say, but just to let you know that I wouldn't mind. Thank you both for your help!
...darn!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

If I would think so, I would have allready done.

The Kawasaki-Rose is in fact a very easy model, but there are many different versions around and some of the diagrams are really bad drawn and contain errors that make it very hard to get a correct result.
From the picture I´d say you´ve folded a variation of the "old" rose, but most people have problems with the "new" one and there is also a rose bud that´s nearly impossible to fold after the diagrams.

About image sizes, you should always have in mind that the picture should fit onto everyones screen, so I would recommend a pictures no larger than 640x480. The filesize should be a minimum that allows a good resultion but fast loading times (a short look into my foto-folder shows filesizes around 50 kB).
origami93

Post by origami93 »

i think you should try the dragon in flight. it is a really awsome model. if you get stuck on a step, like origami 8 said, there is an existing topic on it. about the ancient dragon, i have never tried it, so i don't know what is hard about it. i do know that there is a good 220+ steps in it, so it's probrably very difficult to fold.
ManInTheBox

Post by ManInTheBox »

i cant find the ancient dragon diagram no matter how hard i try
anyone know where i can find it?
or do i have to buy a book?
or is there no diagram and just a CP?
ManInTheBox

Post by ManInTheBox »

this site has a few good dragons

try the 'dragon con dedos' and the 'dragon F. Gilgado'

heres 2 pics of my 'dragon F. Gilgado'
it was rather carelessly made (i was tired and the paper i used was thick so i twisted the tail and bent the arms and legs to make it easier) but it still turned out OK

P.S. the directions to make a detailed head were like cut off from the PDF so i took some creative liberties there :wink:
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The diagrams for the ancient dragon can be found in Satoshi Kamiya´s book. It is surely no beginner model, but it looks simply great.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Haha ..ManInTheBox, I love the way you turned that dragon ... very funny
He looks very .. cool .. as a cartoon character .. funny and a bit ridiculus ... great job :lol:
not a beginner - complex model folder - own designs - 23 - French
future origami master ^_^