Nguyen Hung Cuong - Eagle

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Khemikooligan

Re: Nguyen Hung Cuong - Eagle

Post by Khemikooligan »

Hello all,
I'm having problems folding Cuong's eagle on step 70. I think I am missing some creases, specifically the diamond ones closer to the top, does anyone know what earlier step these were pre-creased in (assuming the folds are from pre-creases)? I can't tell if the creases aren't there or if there are creases there but they are the wrong size, so knowing the step where there are any pre-creases would be helpful.
Khemikooligan

Post by Khemikooligan »

Never mind, I realized I was doing the precreases in step 37-42 wrong because I was valley folding on 37 instead of mountain folding. I've gotten to another roadblock on step 72, specifically the squash on the top. I can't get it to squash and look like the picture in 73-74. Does anyone have any advice or possibly pictures of the process?
Khemikooligan

Post by Khemikooligan »

Does anyone have any advice for folding what I'm assuming are the feet? When I go to collapse the flap in step 83-84 it looks fine but then in step 85 it shows what looks like a flap sticking out from behind of the lower right of the flap I just collasped but its not there for me.... I kept folding anyway and eventually I think it showed up on its own but then when I got to steps 105-116 the model wasn't matching up with the diagrams and the paper was getting worn because the folds kept being screwed up and were so small. Are the diagrams wrong for these steps?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

the diagrams are correct. it is very easy, unfortunately, to misalign certain internal layers. make sure the internal layer is on the bottom, so you can unsink it.

lol. unfortunately this just isn't a model that's easy for people to fold up until whatever step to help others.
Khemikooligan

Post by Khemikooligan »

Ok, thanks for the help.

I definitely get it how it's not a model with one tricky step in particular, every time I hit a roadblock I start from scratch, refold, and eventually get it right but then ten steps later I'm lost again. However, I am determined to finish this model no matter how many hours of making double tissue and precreasing it takes, I just wish the person who laid out the diagrams had done a better job of showing what lines are creases and what lines are being used to designate flaps.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

if it makes you feel better, you are already past the hardest part (the collapse). in my honest opinion, the diagrams are as clear as they could be.

i would love to be more clear, but unfortunately, as i said, this just isn't a model i can grab a piece of paper and fold up until step x to show.

i recommend against tissue foil for the reason you articulate (every time you mess up, you have to spend time making another). i recommend you buy a roll of paper-backed foil from origami shop. that way you can just cut a 50 cm square and go. if you mess up, you can try again right away.
Khemikooligan

Post by Khemikooligan »

I will probably buy a better supply of paper with christmas money or if I manage to get a summer job after spring semester, but right now I am too broke to splurge, so I will just have to try and make DTMC in the mornings and let in dry while I'm in class during the day.

But I honestly don't think the collapse was that bad, I have a harder time with smaller folds like those with the feet. I was thinking about trying tweezers but I am afraid with my amateur skills I will rip the paper.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

you might want to try alufoil. there's more information here:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11794

the first eagle i did was from alufoil. it has many weaknesses, but it is a good medium for learning this model. at 26", it's plenty large. the finished model is also suitable for display; you will just have to tape down the diagonal axis to keep it from tearing.
Eljoax

Post by Eljoax »

Someone has the corrected diagrams?
Edg

Post by Edg »

For steps 43-44?
Don't know if there's any other errors, still haven't completed it myself but I'm pretty sure everything else is correct, though some steps seem wrong till you get your head round them, though :)
e-mo

Nguyen Hung Cuong - Eagle step 58

Post by e-mo »

Hi all,

I already checked the forum for some hints for that particulat step...found some thread but unfortunately it didnt help me at all. That is why I am posting a separate topic for that particular step.

I think I was pretty acurate regardings the precreasing steps... and to visualize the lines...i redraw them with red colours.

can anyone help me to do that step 58?

Thx,

e-mo

Edit: Moved to the correct topic by Moderator.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

make sure that you do this step on both sides.
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

Hi bethnor,

I am going to try it again tonight, hopefully it will work :-) I have an imagination how it will look like...but my paper seems to be too large... (using 70cm) which makes it difficult to handle...

e-mo
e-mo

Post by e-mo »

Hi all...

I think I did it :)
This is how it looks like for step 58:

Backside:

Here are different views and angle to support everyone who is about to stuck at that particular step:
Top view

Side view1

Side view2

So.....lets see where i stuck next ;)

e-mo

edited: pictures are renewed...should be fine to display..
Last edited by e-mo on December 14th, 2013, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

e-mo your pictures are somehow broken. Please upload them again.