Lang's reference finder

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
paper_dragon42

Lang's reference finder

Post by paper_dragon42 »

Hey there all. Maybe I'm being a tad silly but I honestly have no idea how to use Lang's reference finder. It seems far to mathy for my liking ... can anyone shed any light in how to use this? If it helps im trying to find the reference point for:

http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~origami/dog.html

Sorry I'm not good with computers, I'm not sure how to make that a link. Any advice?
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

This is just a hint for one of the references and the use of RF, for the rest you follow the same procedure.

Take the square on the bottom right corner. Print the CP. Measure the lenght of the origianl square (the one that represents the whole sheet from where you start) and the lenght of the little square. Divide the lenght of the little square over the large square. That should be your reference point.

So you enter in RF: Leave the mark on "Point". In X1 enter the result of the fraction and in Y1 enter "0". Control G. RF should produce several sequences to find that point. From that point on you can find many of the other creases in the CP.

I hope this helps
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re: Lang's reference finder

Post by Swapnil Das »

Sorry to open up a very old topic but I can't seem to get the hang of it. I'm trying to enter coordinates for a sqrt reference but it says an error saying, "sqrt(2)+5" equals to 6.41421, but this value should be between 0 and 1. What does that mean? And how do I enter the right coordinates to make it work?
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

That's because sqrt(2)+5 is 6.41....
gamag

Post by gamag »

When you have a square of 1x1, then all points on it have coordinates between 0 and 1, sqrt(2) is the length of the diagonal line. So the point (sqrt(2)-1, 0) is what you get form the kite base, point (0.5, 0.5) is the middle of the square.
I don't really get what point you are looking for, maybe sqrt(2)-0.5?
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Ok, Now I've got it. sqrt(2)+5 is way past the coordinates 0 and 1, cause sqrt(2)+5 is 6.41. The coordinates must be between 0 and 1 only. I hope I'm correct. And yes, sqrt(2)-0.5 is what I'm looking for. Thanks, guys!

Dj origami

Post by Dj origami »

Swapnil Das wrote:Ok, Now I've got it. sqrt(2)+5 is way past the coordinates 0 and 1, cause sqrt(2)+5 is 6.41. The coordinates must be between 0 and 1 only. I hope I'm correct. And yes, sqrt(2)-0.5 is what I'm looking for. Thanks, guys!
Those are reference points for what model ?
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Nothing. I was just testing out Lang's reference finder. :) Although the reference might come out useful sometimes.

origami-03

Post by origami-03 »

One question, how and what do you do with the line element on lang's reference finder? What are you supposed to do with that? Sorry if I am not that good at explaining what I mean, I just joined the forum today and this is like my second post.
Thanks so much.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Instead of opening a new thread I'm posting this here.

For those that use Reference Finder and could be in a situation where they don't have it at hand (like when you're on your phone), you can use the ported version that is accesible online. Robby Kraft did the work. It can be accessed at: https://finder.origami.tools/ and is available in English, Portuguese and Spanish (for which I did the translation).
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Wow this is really handy! Thanks!
shehab hazem

Post by shehab hazem »

sorry but I want to fold Brian Chan s grasshoppers he says the perched grasshopper is sqrt2 plus 4 and the walking is sqrt2 plus 5 the flying is sqrt 2 plus7 so I need help .