Minesweeper

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Tjips

Minesweeper

Post by Tjips »

I just stumbled on the interresting little topic called Rubik's cube and thought to myself, "That's amazing, 23sec's to solve! :shock: ". Then it came to my mind that I know of something similarly amazing. How many of you have ever tried, or more importantly, solved an expert minesweeper board? If you've tried it you'd know that it's quite a challenge and if you've finished it your times probably range 150sec's+. This is where the amazement comes in. The world record is 39 SECONDS! This is truely quite remarkable. Check it out:

http://www.planet-minesweeper.com/bestever.php or if it doesn't work:
http://www.planet-minesweeper.com/ then click us then bestever

P.S. If you want to watch the records download the .mvf software, not the .avi or .txt.

:?: And if you've finished it, what's your time?
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

My wife has a record 124 s. I have never finished it.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

124sec's is not bad at all! Congratulate her, perhaps she'll feature on that ranking one day :wink:
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
Friet

Post by Friet »

I've never been very fast at those games. It usually takes me ten minutes to solve an expert minesweeper puzzle.

Btw, I once saw a video of someone solving a Rubik's cube while blindfolded. Pretty amazing!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Friet wrote:Btw, I once saw a video of someone solving a Rubik's cube while blindfolded. Pretty amazing!
I hope he looked at the cube before being blindfolded.... otherwise it wouldn't be only amazing but also very spooky :roll:
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Puts me in mind of the movie UHF. At one point, in the background, a blind man is trying to solve a Rubik's cube with the help of a bystander:

"Is that it?"
"No"
"Damn!....How 'bout now?"
"No."
"What about that?"
"No"

etc..
Azuolas

Post by Azuolas »

I know other website with minesweeper records: http://metanoodle.com/minesweeper/
my personal minesweeper records:
Beginner - 2s
intermediate - 38s
expert - 128s
silentmagesoul

Post by silentmagesoul »

The thing I don't like about minesweeper is that it is actually very dependent on luck. If you start with a configuration of mines that is not possible to solve if you start by clicking on a certain area, then you could be the best minesweeper in the world and still not be able to solve it.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

there are some mine-sweeper clones out there, that solved those starting problems. some of them even solved the problem, that you couldn't be able to solve the field in the finishing process. check out via google and load some of the available clones, there some really good ones out there.
mine sweeper is a nearly perfect game, because it has minimum rules with maximum game fun. I love that game.
Turtle13oi

Post by Turtle13oi »

there are different versions of that game. cant really compare
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I'm sorry that I'm re-opening this topic after so long, but I have to mention: the recored of 39 seconds has been beaten, it is now 38 :D By Dion Tuy in Austraulia
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

Wow... 38? :D

The expert Minesweeper games are just WAY too hard for me. Certain puzzles have one particular square that if you click it, it solves the entire puzzle. I've never come across one in an expertpuzzle but many times in intermediate puzzles. Has anyone elsefound a "magic square" in a minesweeper puzzle?
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

One click to solve the whole puzzle? Thats hwy the record for beginner is 1 second...
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Actually, Cupcake, if a minesweeper wins a beginner game by clicking only once (it has happened) the record is disallowed. To stop records coming from so called "dream boards" players instituted 3BV limits to acceptable boards. Beginner has a 3BV limit of two, inter is 36 (I think) and expert 100. Take a look at any of the beginner world records, all more than one click.

My Photos
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Oh... All my records go as follows :oops: :
Beginner- 14 seconds
Intermediate- 245 seconds
Expert: Unfinished
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs