Shuki Kato's book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
gordigami

Re: Shuki Kato's book

Post by gordigami »

Mir:
I salute you for attempting to put forward some sincere thought to the issue.
However, I reiterate. The " best book" does not exist , nor , most likely, will it ever .
I might suggest that you open up your exposure to designers such as Roman Diaz, Quentin Trollip, or Jun Maekawa, who all have made complex models that initially look quite simple.
The first model to try might be Acrobat Elephant, by Roman Diaz.
To grow, venture out beyond Kamiya. His models are very good, in their limited, fantasy way, but very constricted & isolated from creative origami . I predict that he will simplify & embrace more diversity as he grows older.
Whether he does so or not, will determine if he is truly interested in origami, or simply self indulging with overly complex " gee whiz" type fantasy figures .
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
topsu

Post by topsu »

I'm going off topic here, but this is too interesting:

I don't like the idea that simplicity is somehow superior or 'more mature' than complexity. It's art, and art shouldn't have rules like that. I love Dinh's models, but I also find grace and liveliness in Kamiya's art. In some ways our universe is simple, in some ways it's - super complex ;)
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

Simplicity and complexity does not dictate what makes a model great. The three things that should dictate what makes a great model are as follows
1- a beautiful finished product (both kamiya's and Dinh's models have this quality)
2- efficiency of the design. Once again, both kamiya's and dinh's models have this quality
3- how pleasing it is to fold. Both kamiya's and dinh's model also share this quality.
Even if a model has only two of three of these qualities, its still a great model. And both super complex and elegantly simple models can have all of these qualities.
to get back onntrack... new year Shuki... perhaps its time for a resolution to finish something *hint* *hint* :D
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

I've been going though lots of life lessons over the past 4 months which made it nearly impossible to diagram complex models with a clear head. I'll let you guys know if I start the diagramming process again. And also, thanks so much for the overwhelming support, I would never have advanced as much in the art as I have without it. =D> :oops:
kentookura

Post by kentookura »

Hey, Shuki, I have a little idea for your book.
Why don't you put the crease pattern with m/v lines for your new Eva Unit 1 in the book?
Maybe, a few pages could be dedicated to the collapse of the CP, similar to Kamiya's guide for the Ryujin 3.5 in his book. Just a little idea, a high-rez crease pattern would be enough for me though.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

i admire all these origamists who diagram their super complex models with steps more than 200. How much time does it take to diagram a model with steps more than 200? Thanks!
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

origami-artist-galen wrote:I've been going though lots of life lessons over the past 4 months which made it nearly impossible to diagram complex models with a clear head. I'll let you guys know if I start the diagramming process again. And also, thanks so much for the overwhelming support, I would never have advanced as much in the art as I have without it. =D> :oops:
take your time man! you deserve it!
us origamists are used to playing the waiting game anyways. how long have we been waiting for a Brian Chan and a Hojyo Takashi book? our hype for it will just keep on building!
bobzomgville

Post by bobzomgville »

I would buy that book just for EVA 2013 and Gigantasaurus :D
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

I'd buy that book for the Giraffe, Eva and Gigantosaurus! TOTALLY!
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
TheIonicScythe

Post by TheIonicScythe »

i know its hard to make a diagram for the Zoanoid Dragon, so instead of/or until you make one you should make a video tutorial on youtube
Machinima Partner&YouTuber
TheIonicScythe
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

TheIonicScythe wrote:i know its hard to make a diagram for the Zoanoid Dragon, so instead of/or until you make one you should make a video tutorial on youtube
It would be almost as hard to make a video tutorial for it. You need a large sheet of paper, and a lot of time (I've never folded it but i'm guessing over 15 hours). Not to mention it would be very awkward folding it with a camera in front of you, as well as finding a position for the camera to sit.
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

Speaking of the zoanoid dragon, I'll be folding another of those soon, either a replica of v2 or a completely new version. That model and the new guyver were actually commissioned for some exhibitions early next year. 8)
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

Hi, Shuki. Any news about your book?
nwdo

Post by nwdo »

What happened to the book? Have you canceled it shuki? Noooo
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

I think he's still working on it - he has been (slowly) making diagrans, some of which he hasn't released yet, which makes me think he's still working on his book. I don't think he's active on the forum any more, though. The best place to hope to get an update would probably be his flickr. I hope he does finish it, because his diagrams are always fun to fold :D