Praying Mantis by Sebastian Arellano

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
monkeyboyhero

Praying Mantis by Sebastian Arellano

Post by monkeyboyhero »

I am having an issue with step 77 which simply says "sink the corners". I cannot see how they can possibly be sunk, particularly the top ones - there is mass of paper there.

Has anyone successfully folded this model? I'm wondering if it should be a reverse fold instead, which seems to work....but it says "sink"!

There are some monster sinks before this which I've managed to get past (just) so it's very frustrating to get stuck here, if anyone can help!
Edg

Re: Praying Mantis by Sebastian Arellano

Post by Edg »

It's been a while since I folded this, but I'm pretty sure I ended up reverse folding the corners, just like you say... I could be wrong though! You're nearly at the end so you'll soon find out if it's wrong :wink:
Sangocor

Post by Sangocor »

What does it mean to "sink"? I'm stuck on step 42, where it says to sink both sides inwards along the creases (shown by red and blue dotted lines). I'm assuming the fold lines in Step 43 aren't the only folds?
Sangocor

Post by Sangocor »

Actually, I thought I got step 42, but then ran into problems with step 49, where I had nothing left to peel back, so I'm assuming that I went wrong with step 42.
Edg

Post by Edg »

For step 49, the point to be sunk is kind of tangled up with the two side points , so you can't peel it back. You just need to open it as much as you can to sink the centre point. If you don't have the 3 points, I'd guess you've more likely gone wrong at step 47, where you pull out the inner pleats and sink along the creases made in step 45 to close it back up. Hope this helps, i'm going more on the diagram as it's been a while since I folded it.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

the diagrams of this model could indeed use some clarificatiaon.

in step 56, you will want to do a spread-squash/sink of the lower flaps. if you just do a regular closed/open sink, you won't be able to narrow the flap in step 58.

in step 57, he wants you to sink the points in the same flap as the one mentioned above. again, a spread-squash/sink is probably better.

in step 77, those are indeed reverse folds and NOT sinks. this is actually shown in tep 83-4. more specifically, with the head, you want to reverse fold the flap into the nearest pocket, otherwise you will not be able to make the eyes.